Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student let problems with LL and repairs

hi

my daughter is renting a flat with 4 others (room each etc) and after a few niggles and what I see as a lethargic attitude to putting those right I wonder if someone can tell me the situation as to how quickly things should be repaired and what the LL has to provide in terms of alternative accommodation.

Example this time, the boiler has gone off (terrible in this freezing weather) today and the LL has been round and said he thinks it's had it and will get someone out to look, but does not know when as they are busy with lots of call outs, its all a bit vague as to who he's actually getting out. In a case like this with no heating or hot water are the T's entitled to move out into hotel and this be paid for by the LL etc?

I just want to know where she stands, help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by tubbs View Post
    hi

my daughter is renting a flat with 4 others (room each etc) and after a few niggles and what I see as a lethargic attitude to putting those right I wonder if someone can tell me the situation as to how quickly things should be repaired and what the LL has to provide in terms of alternative accommodation.

Example this time, the boiler has gone off (terrible in this freezing weather) today and the LL has been round and said he thinks it's had it and will get someone out to look, but does not know when as they are busy with lots of call outs, its all a bit vague as to who he's actually getting out. In a case like this with no heating or hot water are the T's entitled to move out into hotel and this be paid for by the LL etc?

They do not have the right to move out into a hotel at this stage, although the LL does have a statutory duty to get the heating fixed within a reasonable time. If he does not show any signs of doing so within, say, two weeks, they should contact the EHO at the council who can require the LL to act. In the meantime they should ask him to provide some convector heaters (one for each room) immediately, or allow them to buy some and deduct the cost from their next rent payment. Even if he says no, they should buy them anyway and deduct from rent. It is quite unreasonable of him to allow them to be without heating in this weather.

Do they have any means of heating water at all?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Pretty bad situation Tubbs, but student accomodation is generally rubbish and they get treated pretty badly. Out of interest, how much rent are they paying per month? As mind the gap says, the LL should provide mobile heaters or the tenants should go buy their own and deduct from rent. I have a few heaters in storage incase I need to bring them out, but the property I'm renting has a new combi boiler so haven't had any heating problems, yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry_Baker View Post
        Pretty bad situation Tubbs, but student accomodation is generally rubbish and they get treated pretty badly. Out of interest, how much rent are they paying per month?
        I'm not sure how helpful comments like this are. There is good and bad accommodation (and good and bad LLs) in every sector. Student rental properties in many cities are increasingly competitive and the cliché of 'The Young Ones' is really rather obsolete now. You make it sound inevitable that students get a raw deal - it isn't. The problem is often that students do not know their rights. OP's daughter has been unlucky to get a LL like this, but there are remedies she can pursue.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Think of it in terms of what would happen if it were you in the same situation at home, with the boiler broken down, and how long it'd take to get things put right, and how bad it'd have to be before you decided to move in to a B&B. That's sort of the benchmark for what is reasonable behaviour on the part of the landlord; if it were me, I'd have a plumber in the same day if possible in this weather, but if he said I had to wait a week for parts to fix it, I'd probably grin and bear it for a week...

Comment

thanks for all the replies.

I dont think they have any other hot water apart from a kettle, the rent is approx 1400 split between the 5 of them, I've informed her to say they need the heaters urgently and that this is a minimum requirement and he should provide these.

I personally wouldn't be happy unless the heating was fixed the next day, but thats because I have a contract with a utility company and I'm used to that level of service, but I guess from what you say 'mtg' that if its fixed in a few days that is acceptable.

Comment

thanks for all the replies.

I dont think they have any other hot water apart from a kettle, the rent is approx 1400 split between the 5 of them, I've informed her to say they need the heaters urgently and that this is a minimum requirement and he should provide these.

I personally wouldn't be happy unless the heating was fixed the next day, but thats because I have a contract with a utility company and I'm used to that level of service, but I guess from what you say 'mtg' that if its fixed in a few days that is acceptable.
              The amount of rent has no bearing whatsoever on this. However much or little they pay, the LL is in breach of contract in not attending to repairs promptly. In freezing weather such as we are having at present, it is doubly unreasonable of him not to be getting onto it immediately. He is probably hoping he can fob them off until they go home for the Christmas vacation. Tell your daughter to keep up the pressure (phone the LL or text every four hours to complain until he convinces them he has arranged for a boiler engineer to come). It s also unreasonable to expect them to be without hot water for washing for more than a few days, so he should be advised that they will have showers elsewhere (e.g. at friends' houses or local pool, etc and claim bus fares from rent, also cost of washing clothes in launderette if boiler is not fixed within ten days) and cost of extra electricity for the heaters. Tell them to keep a record and all receipts for expenses like this. It would be different if he had been 'onto it' at once, but he should not be allowed to think it's OK to treat his tenants like this.

Good luck - let us know what happens.

Comment

Also bring pressure to bear through the University (they are bound to have lots of experience in this area) and EH making clear to LL that you have know gone to "Local Authorities". As stated previously keep a firm track of all communications including who said what to who. Would advise that only One member of the group is the communications conduit otherwise LL may try the divide and rule tactic.

Keep us updated and be rentless in the pressure applied>

Comment

pleased to say this one got sorted on saturday when boiler was repaired! its a flat that was suggested by the Uni/Uni acredited (not sure 100%) but I have to be honest and say its not the best and thier standards must not be very high.

Comment

Quite a speedy response in all fairness to LL. With regards to standards, I thought for most it was fairly common practice to view properties before taking them!
                    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X