Tenant left over 2 months ago leaving Sky+ account open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant left over 2 months ago leaving Sky+ account open

Previous tenant installed Sky+ at the property (without permission) and left the property on 7/8/2010. Since then the property has been empty due to renovations. New tenants moved in this weekend and have tried to set-up a Sky account only to be told from Sky that the old account is still active and there cannot be two accounts on a single property address. I emailed the old tenants on 8/8/2010 to tell them their Sky account is still active and can they de-activate it. Clearly they have not done this. I have contacted Sky and explained the situation and all they say is the previous tenants must phone them to de-activate the account. I can email the previous tenants again but strongly suspect they will not de-activate the account. When the previous tenants left they provided a bogus forwarding address but I do have their mobile telephone numbers and work addresses. Sky seem totally unconcerned that an account is setup on a property address for people that do not live there. Can anyone suggest a way forward with this. Trying to get through to Sky complaints department is telephone robbery and is like pulling teeth.

Presumably they are not getting paid by the tenants - explain to sky that their tenancy has ended they are no longer in possession of the property and any agreement should be ceased or transfered accordingly as you are the rightful owner of the property no longer wish it to be affiliated with your property as you have no agreement with Sky.
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

It's not your problem. LL is not responsible for T's satellite telly.

Having said that, I'm sure you want to keep new T happy, but you should explain that there are limits to what you can do. If there is an active account at the property, surely that means the service is still up and running (paid for by ex-T) therefore, has the new T thought of getting a 2nd hand SkyBox and/or a private contractor to install one? (Ex-T's problem if he doesn't deactivate the account and effectively pays for new T's telly...)

Comment

If I were the LL I would write to Sky and send 2 letters keeping proof of posting, explain simply that their customer has left and giving them what information I had about his or her current whereabouts and contact details, giving them 14 days to collect their property, disc and box and whatever else, or I would remove it and charge them storage at £20 per day from the date given them, and charge them for making good any damage to walls or decor as the instalment was not authorised by the LL.

You do not have any contract with Sky, so you do not have to play by their rules, much as they might like you too.

pm
        Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

I fear that it is worse than that which Property Mongrel assumes. I suspect that the old tenants have taken their sky receiver and card and plugged this into a sky dish at their new home. If they continue to pay their sub then they will continue to receive their sky service. They will only come unstuck when Sky decide to change their viewing card, which they do from time to time to defeat piracy. Only then may the lack of sky force them to change the account over. You see, if you change address, sky assume that you need a new installation and expect their £50 fee to be paid. You then get a new box and new dish installed despite the fact that you already have a dish installed, box and card.
          When my Daughter was living with us, she decided that she would like sky. She paid and the whole shooting match was installed. About 4 years later, she decided to move out into her own home. There was no problem in her getting a sky account at her new address, but could I change the name to mine of her old sky service?
          No chance! Oh they were quite happy to change their direct debit over to my bank account, and, equipped with Daughter's old passwords and so on, managing her old account is easy, but if I want my name on the account, I have to have, and pay for, a completely new installation!
          After about 7 years hard use, My/her old sky+ box started playing up last week - replacement on ebay £25. I hate to think what sky would have charged me!

P.P.
          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

P. Pilcher is correct in that the previous tenants took the Sky+ box, the only thing that remained was the Sky+ dish and cables. I am also sure the telephone was with Sky as well but that was de-activated but probably still remains a Sky account. It was puzzling me why they left the account open and P.Pilcher has now provided a very good reason for doing this. I have written to Sky with all the previous tenants details and suggested to the new tenants that it may take some time for Sky to de-activate the account so they should consider Freesat and now thinking about it, it may require a new telephone line from BT as well.

but could I change the name to mine of her old sky service?
            No chance! Oh they were quite happy to change their direct debit over to my bank account, and, equipped with Daughter's old passwords and so on, managing her old account is easy, but if I want my name on the account, I have to have, and pay for, a completely new installation!
            The new tenants have offered to pay Sky for a new installation but Sky will not let them.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X