Resident Landlord agreement

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Resident Landlord agreement

    We have operated several holiday flats in our large converted house for many years with no problems, but are about to change them over to permanent residential flats (we do have planning permission for residential use)

    As we live in the ground floor flat and the flats are a conversion from a house and not a purpose built block, I understand that we therefore come into the catagory of resident landlord and as such need to set up a Resident Landlord agreement instead of the more common Shorthold Tennancy.

    I can find lots of details regarding Shorthold Tennancies but very little regarding Resident Landlord agreements. Can anyone please explain the actual difference in the two agreements and in what respect the rights of the tennant (and Landlord) differ. Also what different requirements are neccessary to end a tennancy and can that tennancy be of any length etc?

  • #2
    Your occupants would be licensees and as such exempt from the Housing Acts and Landlord & Tenant Acts so it's up to you what sort of agreement you choose.

    There's no requirement to have any written agreement but I would take legal advice on this.

    It will also make it much easier when you come to sell the property.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


    Latest Activity