renting domestic house that is commercial property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    renting domestic house that is commercial property

    Hello - new to this forum, i hope i'm posting in the right place!
    In the next couple of days I'll be signing a contract to move into a rented house. Today I tried to get an online quote for contents insurance but the quote calculator (or whatever you call those things that calculate your quote) said that the property is a commercial property and that I cant get home insurance for it. I looked into it and it turns out that the property is registered and a driving school - I think it was/ is run by the current landlord.

    So basically im interested to know what problems i'm likely to face if any (well the insurance is one problem) and whether I should take this up with the estate agents before signing a contract.

    Thanks for reading my ramble - I'll appreciate any help you can give

    Have you checked with your Local Autority Planning department to see if there has been a change of use from commerical back to residential?
    From what I can gather from previous posts on this and other forums, (although I'm not certain) if a tenant is residing in a property that does not have the required planning permission, their tenancy could be vulnerable should there be any dispute at a later stage.

    Alternatively try posting on the Planning Forum on here .. someone there may be able to help you.

    Personally i wouldn't enter into anything unless I was 100% satisfied that my tenancy wouldn't be at risk.
    Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE


    Latest Activity