unpaid electricity bill-whose responsible for paying it? the landlord?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • unpaid electricity bill-whose responsible for paying it? the landlord?

    My very elderly father has given me this problem to solve.
    He rents out A flat in his house and has done so for over 50 years.

    Eon have employed a debt recovery agent to recover from him, as the property owner, a tennants unpaid electricity bill.

    The tennant has his own meter and agreement with the power companie, ARE THE POWER COMPANIES ABLE TO HOLD THE PROPERTY OWNER LIABLE FOR TENNANTS BAD DEBTS?

    Any help or advice would be appreciated as I am not a landlord

  • #2
    The answer is no but very distressing for your elderly father. Speak to Debt collector show him AST - they are usually quite sensible people

    I have had a few run ins with Eon lately and S. Electric over tenants wanting to change supplier and lies from them on oversestimated bills. Generally it strikes me that they are sooo desperate for money and business that they are trying anything to get cash out of any unsuspecting person.

    Have you had communication with Eon before it got to this stage? I would go back to them and try to speak to a senior person outlining the problem. The kids that answer the phones are poorly trained and believe everything they are told by their equally untrained supervisors on landlord/tenant issues. Try to get the name and position of the person you speak to - these senior types have direct dial numbers.

    Recently I have had to email/fax the tenancy agreement to Eon to prove a contract - by doing this you should be able to solve the problem. I have also been told by S. Electric that the landlord cannot tell the tenant which supplier to use - rubbish.

    Freedom at the point of zero............


    • #3
      Thanks for your help, presumably an AST is the tenancy agreement. I would have been suprised if they could hold the landlord responsible for the debt, but all sorts of unreasonable things happen now.


      • #4
        Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
        I have also been told by S. Electric that the landlord cannot tell the tenant which supplier to use - rubbish.

        I hesitate to defend Mssrs S Electric having had huge probs with them, to such a degree that if I now complain I'm dealt with by a tame handler in the Chief exec's office but in that particular they are/are not right...

        Yes of course you can tell T which supplier to use. You can also tell T that he may only give notice whilst wearing a Top Hat, standing on one leg & giving 2-months notice - but both conditions would be unenforceable... see


        Table 4.2: Examples of potentially unreasonable prohibitions

        Against changing the phone or utility

        The tenant should have the choice of
        supplier although he may be required to
        keep the landlord informed of any change
        and to return the account to the original
        supplier at the end of the tenancy.
        Greater minds than mine may point out this is only guidance, however were the T to change supplier but do as described above , you to subsequently take legal action because of it I suspect Mr Judge would laugh you out-of-court.


        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        • #5
          Energy man - yes AST is the tenancy agreement.

          Artful - I didn't phrase that too well - of course I don't insist T uses supplier I say. I just ask T to inform me before leaving what they have changed to.

          In the case I am refering to T changed supplier unwittingly even before signing contract with me. When he was getting final bill at old property (all electric) S Electric person asked -' would you like us to supply you at your new property' . Tenant said yes and S. Electric hijacked supply, falsified a reading by 100 units and said it had actually been read at the meter by a proper person. All lies and all without consulting me - I was paying the bill as property had been undergoing a serious re-furb. Luckily I keep all meter readings in my daybook - I'm a bit of an anorak about that sort of thing.

          Tenant decided to stay with original supplier of Eon at my prop which has gas and electric and I have had to fight S. Electric off - they are arguing that T entered into verbal contract and that there is only a 7 day cooling off period. They seem to write their own law. They tell me it will take 6-8 weeks to change! Ourtrageous but I am doing it. Tenant, an elderly gent is v. upset and asks the question we must all ask from time to time - why did things have to change to all these companies.

          Freedom at the point of zero............


          • #6
            Cheers IL!

            Can't say I'm surprised at your stories of S Elect - well my experiences are of Scottish Hydro, same group. It wasn't like that in the old nationalised days eh!!

            Best regards, apologies for any unintended criticism...

            I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


            • #7
              As with others here have clashed with suppliers!

              Trying to get to the key points. If not already done suggest have your father sign a letter giving you formal third party authority to deal with the supplier. Send it RDS including a direction that all communication is to be in writing to your address. Also in letter invite them to provide "written evidience" of a contract of supply with your father.

              Then, again by letter RDS, tell supplier to fly his kite becuase he is wholly wrong and if they continue to harass by phone (which they will becuase their operators have performance targets to meet) write to them, as we did, and use the Administration of Justice Act ( you will need to check the section) to warn them about harassment.

              Suggest most strongly do not waste your time on the phone!!

              Moving on:

              The "debt" has been sold to a collecting agency and the way we dealt with them was invite them to produce real written evidence that there was a contract of supply in this case in your father`s name. Debt Agency never check the facts merely a supplier says x owes y and they go on that. We used the same tactic about harassment and also pointed them to their Industry Code. The critical thing was that we stated that their was not debt (not ours anyway) unless they could produce evidence to the contrary.

              In our case where several thousand pounds were involved in a T /Supplier dispute the problem went away.Supplier in this case was BG.

              In passing; Readers might wish to be away that BG has two divisions (Business and Domestic) and THEY DO NOT have a common data base. In our case a Business account had been set up on a Domestic property (which was not a business) pre occupancy by T. Thus communications about change of T were sent to what we now know to be domestic who of course threw it in the bin because the account was with Business!

              In summary deal with the bully boys in the appropiate fashion!!


              • #8
                Originally posted by theenergyman View Post
                He rents out A flat in his house and has done so for over 50 years.
                Is the property in England/Wales?
                Does your father live in the same house as the rental flat? If so, do they share facilities?
                What type of tenancy does the tenant have?


                • #9
                  Re SW's comment on Admin of Justice the relevant bit is
                  Administration of Justice Act 1970
                  , s40, ref harassment of debtors
                  I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


                  • #10
                    other written details

                    In addition to providing the ast to the utility company, do you have any other written information, did the tenant give you a months notice in writing, any other paperwork that proves the tenant moved out on a particular date. This should also help in this case. From my experience deal with the utility company not the debt company.The utiility companies which i use on a property where the tenant was on a meter and left a debt- they just cancelled the debt n and refunded me the monies which i put onto the meter after the tenant left! - british gas and npower.
                    In future and this goes for anybody else, if the tenant gives notice -get it in writing in if it means you write the letter and the tenants signs it so be it - it will save you less hassle. On tenant of mine informed the utility company that they moved out 6 months before they actually did, but because i got them to sign a letter when they gave me a months notice - i had no problem from the utility company



                    Latest Activity


                    • Mice in the flat - what to do?
                      We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

                      Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
                      26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
                    • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                      I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                      Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                      24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                    • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                      Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
                      I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
                      26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
                    • Tenant application form
                      Hi all!

                      So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

                      Thanks in advance,

                      25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
                    • Reply to Tenant application form
                      You really need two forms.
                      a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
                      b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
                      25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
                    • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                      I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
                      25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
                    • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
                      Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

                      Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

                      Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

                      Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
                      24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
                    • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
                      If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
                      25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
                    • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                      Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                      25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                    • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                      Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
                      25-07-2017, 22:07 PM