Tenancy change.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy change.

I have a father and son in my flat on a normal 6 months tenancy, they have been in 15 months.they are both named on the tenancy, both work.
    The son has now moved out and the fathers other two sons have moved in one working the other at school.
    My question is do I issue a new tenancy agreement or just add a note to the existing agreement noting the new names?

Cheers John.......

No. there's no need. As long as you are getting the rent. The original tenants are still responsible for the rent until they end the tenancy, the elder son can be considered to be a lodger (excluded occupier) if it comes to eviction and bailiffs. If the other son is under eighteen then he is entitled to live with his father and would not be able to sign a contract as a minor anyway. If you are happy with the way the tenancy has gone as a whole then just let it carry on.

If the tenant wants the security of a fixed term however and you are happy to give it to him then would be the time to do a new contract with the new names on it. That would give you the hassle of paying back the deposit and then taking it again etc. etc.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

thanks JTA

Tankyou for the swift reply.

Very helpful........

John........

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
        If the tenant wants the security of a fixed term however and you are happy to give it to him then would be the time to do a new contract with the new names on it. That would give you the hassle of paying back the deposit and then taking it again etc. etc.
        But L cannot grant a new letting to father +sons2/3 if the old letting to father + son1 is still continuing; the latter needs to be ended.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X