Big Problem with Letting Agency...Please Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    Well - I was only guessing! It looks as though the cock-up was even bigger time than originally thought. The first half hour of consultation with a solicitor should be free and it sounds as though you have a good case. Of course if this is not financially viable then you have a better case to present yourself to the SCC.

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• 99sc1610
    replied
    Letting problems

Thanks for your reply....there was a 6month tenancy but these are not the tenants who have been moved in. In January 06 a 10month tenancy to run from 1st september was signed by another set of tenants. However, in february we were shown the place and paid a deposit for a rental period of the same length and commencement date as those which had signed in january. So, they had booked two sets of tenants to move into the house in the same day, and had known this for months yet done nothing.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    Huge time delays between taking a deposit for a property and the start of the proposed tenancy agreement are unusual, and I suspect that a member of the agent's staff cocked it up big time. A six month AST was probably signed for the property sometime in January and the agent naievely (spelling ???) assumed that on expiry of this another tenant should be found. Indeed the tenant who took the tenancy in January may possibly have said at the time that they would be moving out in September. Of course, plans change and said tenant has now announced that they wish to remain!
    The agent should never have offered you the property without being certain that vacant possession would be available to his landlord at the time stated. The agent is IMHO trying it on by witholding their administration fee and I suggest you take the agent to the small claims court for a refund of same and possibly some compensation for your inconvenience.
    I should start by a sternley worded letter to the agent requiring a response in seven days. Of course if they are a member of an established body such as ARLA or NEA then there is a disputes proceedure run by these bodies that you can try as well.

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• 99sc1610
    started a topic Big Problem with Letting Agency...Please Help!!

Big Problem with Letting Agency...Please Help!!

I would be most grateful if anyone here could provide me with some advice on a problem. To keep this short, what happened is on 14th February 2006 we put down a deposit on a house which we were due to move in to on the
    1st September. When arriving at the agents on friday, we were informed that we would have no where to live as the tenancy agreement had not been signed and the landlord had pulled out. This would be perfectly acceptable if it wasnt for the fact that we have since traced the landlord and have been informed that a tenancy agreement had been signed for the property by the agents in January 2006, yet they still took our deposit for the house and kept it until 1st September when we managed to get part of it back minus a hefty administration fee. I just do not know what i can do about this and what the legal position regarding their actions is. Do you have any solutions?

Cheers All

Steve

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
    28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
  • Renting rooms
    by Luke
    I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
    I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
    I do not intend to live at the property
    Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
    As its...
    28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
    28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by theartfullodger
    Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
    28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by Hudson01
    If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
    28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by jpkeates
    That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
    The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
    28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
  • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Piffy
    I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
    27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
    28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by DoricPixie
    I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
    28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
Working...
X