Help! Need to move out. Currently with UNITE Students. What are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solent Watcher
    replied
    Sorrry to hear of the problems. Mind the Gap is spot on with regard to his final line. Apply immediately for JSA (£52 ish per week) and also HB. Unsure of your age but that will be around £65 pw. You should apply for HB immediately as their claims process seems to be rotated around mondays (ie if you claim on a friday they will make the start date the following monday). Depending on when you got bombed you can ask for it to be backdated to that date. HB will ask for justification (ie why you did not apply earlier) and such lines "as not aware that you were entitled" etc usually are ok. When you submit the HB take it in personally and ask the desk staff to check it and also ask for a receipt of the claim form. Copy of AST also required to prove occupation of property. In parallel go the Landlord in writing and explain as per #2 on the basis of nothing ventured nothing gained.!! This is practical advice based on the need to generate a cashflow into your depleting coffers a flow worth roughly 500 pcm. Yes they (both HB and JSA) will make you jump through hoops but at this stage jump! Note also that if you do not attended your JSA fortnightly interview then not only does your JSA stop but your HB will as well so watch that. At this stage, as with any company in trouble, focus in maintaining a cashflow and try and put to one side the emotional bits. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by lana777 View Post
    Hi everyone,

My sponsors have gone broke and suddenly dropped my funding and now I'm suspended from Kings College and cant complete my masters anymore. And to add on that my savings won't keep me in this building much longer. The contract here is AST. Would provide the URL but apparently I need to have a postcount > 10 - but it's easy to google anyway. I've already read it but I'd really appreciate it if more experienced people in the area could suggest my options.

Thanks soo much guys! xx
    Lana.

P.S.- Desperately in need of a job... NOW!
    I'm sorry to hear it's all gone wrong for you. Do you have anything in writing from your sponsors agreeing to pay you x amount for x number of months in return for the work you do for your Masters? You may have a claim against them for failing to keep their part of the bargain, but I am guessing there. Even if you do, it is unlikely to produce any money any time soon (if at all).

Unless your AST contract has a break clause (unlikely) allowing you to terminate before the end of the fixed term e.g. if you cease being a student, I am afraid you are in principle liable for the rent for the whole of the fixed term unless you can persuade your landlord (Unite) to let you out of your contract early by means of a formal surrender - explain your circumstances to them and they may agree to this with certain conditions... but don't hold your breath. Big property companies like Unite are not usually interested in their tenants' woes - only in getting their rent. The other scenario is that they evict you for non-payment of rent. This may sound tempting,but you would end up with a county court judgement against you (best avoided) and you'd still have to pay the money back eventually as they would undoubtedly sue you for it. They are certainly not charities.

Is this the same as your contract with Unite : http://www.unite-students.com/unite-...onditions.page ?

If it contains this clause, and if you can find a replacement tenant for yourself, you may have a way out (my underlining):
    [The Tenant agrees] 3.15 Not transfer the tenancy created by the Tenancy Agreement to anyone else without first obtaining the Landlord’s written consent, which must not be unreasonably withheld.
    The Landlord may, as a condition to giving its consent to the proposed transfer:

3.15.1 charge the Tenant an administration fee of £50; and

3.15.2 require the Tenant and/or the Guarantor to enter into a guarantee of the incoming
    tenant’s obligations under the Tenancy Agreement (but only for such time as the
    incoming tenant remains the tenant under the Tenancy Agreement) in a form
    reasonably required by the Landlord; and

3.15.3 if it is reasonable to do so, require the incoming tenant to provide a guarantor of
    his/her own in respect of the obligations of the incoming tenant under the Tenancy
    Agreement; and

3.15.4 require the incoming tenant to enter into an agreement with the Landlord which
    confirms that the incoming tenant will observe and comply with the obligations of
    the Tenant contained in the Tenancy Agreement.

Do you have a guarantor?

Is the accommodation you live in only for students, or are there working tenants in it as well?

If you are unemployed and seeking work, can you not get Job Seekers' allowance and/or housing benefit/LHA until you find work?

Leave a comment:

• Help! Need to move out. Currently with UNITE Students. What are my options?

Hi everyone,

My sponsors have gone broke and suddenly dropped my funding and now I'm suspended from Kings College and cant complete my masters anymore. And to add on that my savings won't keep me in this building much longer. The contract here is AST. Would provide the URL but apparently I need to have a postcount > 10 - but it's easy to google anyway. I've already read it but I'd really appreciate it if more experienced people in the area could suggest my options.

Thanks soo much guys! xx
    Lana.

P.S.- Desperately in need of a job... NOW!

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X