Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subtenant refuses to leave

Hello Everyone

We are a couple with a 3 years old boy. We are renting form ou landlord a 3 bedroom house and garden by the river. We are paying 1100.
    We decided in July to sublet one bedroom withou telling the landlord (big mistake). It is a nice double bedroom. The lady came to visit and we asked her to pay 300 per month + 2 weeks deposit. She begged us to leave it to 250 as she is a part time student and part time worker. We acceped and made it to 250.
    I gave her a 6 month contract beginning 5t of July and ending 5 january. On the contract it states rent payable one month in advance and all details about the rent.We all signed the contract and kept a copy. We had a first argument in Sepember when she told me on th 5th of September that her rent due the same day cant be paid as she only get paid every 4 weeks. I tried to explain her that the rent has to be paid one month in advance and it is on the contract. She wouldn' listen. My husband talked to her and mentionnned that she needs to keep the money and pay on th due date (every 5th the month) She finally accepted. Yesterday i was to an appointment with my child and received a text from her saying "none f the sockets are working, my tops are not ironed and i have to go to work". I replied sayng "So, is it my fault, did i damage the sockets"? She replied saying" you are so rude and out of place, did i say you damage he sockts, there is no need to be impolite" I replied saying" we will talk when we ge home"
    At around 10pm she came in the house and said: "rude, rude, rude". i did not replied. then she got upset and gave me all the bad names you can imagine. I told her: "you want to argue and i dont have time for that. so stop calling me names" she couldn't listen. i said : " you started it. If you called me or send me a message saying there is a problem with a socket and i dont know what to do, i would have replied the way you wanted. Bt if you send me text wihout hello and telling me your tops are not ironed, like it is my fault if sockets are not working you get what you have to get. I respct my husband and he respects me so if you wan to stay in this house yo need to be respectful. and she said: F... You! then i said ok. i am giving you one month notice as stated on the contrac so you have one month to leave. She said: there is nothing you can do as you ae subletting. So i will do whatever i want in this house and i wont get evicted! then she bang the door. I found a note on the table this morning saying: Sorry but my rent will be late because i wont get paid till the 25th of november.
    This is the problem i have with this lady! Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you all and sorry for the long post.

As you seem to be a resident L, she is either a lodger (not a tenant at all) or else a tenant at common law only. Either way, she does not have statutory protection from the Housing Act 1988. You can end her occupation when her six-month let ends or in accordance with any earlier termination rights reserved in the Letting Agreement that you granted.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by ndawamy View Post
      i am giving you one month notice as stated on the contrac so you have one month to leave. She said: there is nothing you can do as you ae subletting. So i will do whatever i want in this house and i wont get evicted!
      If she doesn't leave at the end of the notice, you are legally entitled to change the locks when she is out, and not allow her back in. NB You cannot physically throw her out. If she leaves any belongings behind, you have a duty to look after them, and allow her to collect them (take them outside, do not allow her to come inside to collect them).

See this link for more advice on how to evict lodgers.
      http://www.lodgerlandlord.co.uk/2010...r-who-wont-go/

Comment

Hello

Thank you very much for your replies.We just want her to leave the property as we can't get along. Should we give her a 30 days notice letter in case she denies that we ask her to leave.
        I really did not want to go at this level with her but she does not listen. As i dont swear on people, i cannot accept when people swear at me. I haven been raised in that manner. I am french and she is from Jamaica.
        What about the rent? If she does not want to pay the last month for example. We only have her 2 weeks deposit (120).
        What should i tell her tonight to end the argument? My husband is at his annual conference and is coming back only tomorrow.
        Thank you for our help

Comment

What does your agreement say re: non payment of rent?
          [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Should we give her a 30 days notice letter in case she denies that we ask her to leave.
            That's a good idea - keep a copy of the letter. You would actually be entitled to give her less notice because of her abusive behaviour towards you. You do not have to tolerate this in your own home, and the law recognizes that, so I would add something in the letter warning her that the notice period will be reduced if she is abusive again.

Comment

Hi
              The agreement says nothing about non payment of rent. It only states rent details payable in advance, our details, hers, ect...
              Thanks

Comment

@ Westminste. Seriously, we have been very nice with this person. She is 34 but acts like a teenager. She does not clean, she does not do nothing in the house and i dont complain. But this time, she went too far. This is like a nighmare.

Comment

The agreement says nothing about non payment of rent. It only states rent details payable in advance, our details, hers, eTC.
                  Are you sure- what sort of rubbish Letting Agreement are you using, then, and why?
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Rubbish agreement??? No need to be that ARSH.... WHY CAN'T YOU JUST ASKED QUESTIONS POLITELY??? Anyway, thank you everyone, (except you of course) to reply. She left 2 days ago. Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Eh? You use a defective Agreement and then blame me?

Comment

thus is life, Jeffrey, thus is life
                        Arsh, I know
                        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Threads that are more suitable for a social worker to handle are best left for them.
                          Natural selection is a wonderful thing
                          You shall know them by their fruit
                          Saying "Never say never", says it

Comment

Surely OP has received all the relevant advice she needs, already in westminster's post #3?
                            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Loft conversion building regs
                              by Hudson01
                              I would not walk away.... i would run away ! Not a hope would i buy a property where there was zero building regs on something that should of had them, as said.... what other bodge jobs have been done. Not a chance.
                              27-10-2021, 09:28 AM
                            • Loft conversion building regs
                              by Handy21
                              Hi guys this might have already been covered before but I’m currently purchasing a 3 bed house and near completion our solicitor has managed to find out they don’t have building regs for the 3rd bedroom (loft conversion). My question is can I let this as a 3 bedroom or is it legally only a 2 bedroom,...
                              27-10-2021, 07:16 AM
                            • Reply to Increasing rent
                              by jpkeates
                              Ah.

They won't agree the increase, so it's more of a point being made....
                              27-10-2021, 09:27 AM
                            • Increasing rent
                              by Berlingogirl
                              Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
                              My tenancy agreement says
                              “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
                              Is there a specific form I should use?...
                              26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
                            • Reply to Increasing rent
                              by Berlingogirl
                              Thanks again. I think I’ll have to just write to them informing them of the increase. They’re under s21 and s8 for rent arrears. They decided to deduct from the rent , the cost of a repair bill to which I did not agree....
                              27-10-2021, 09:24 AM
                              by jpkeates
                              Unless the seller did their own conversion, any builder would have been aware of building regulation requirements, and so the seller would have been aware of the issue.
                              I'd guess that they either very naively thought no one would notice (unlikely) or hoped you'd be so far into the process that...
                              27-10-2021, 09:15 AM
                              by Handy21
                              Yes I was thinking they’ve left it so late on in the process in the hopes that when I found out I’d not bother backing out, the estate agents are trying to convince me that it would be fine to let out as a 3 bedroom but I have contacted other letting agents that have said it wouldn’t be allowed...
                              27-10-2021, 09:03 AM
                              by jpkeates
                              Unless this place is unbelievably great otherwise, I wouldn't go ahead.
                              The seller should have sorted that out, or at very least brought it to your attention at the start of the process.

And what else haven't they told you?...
                              27-10-2021, 08:19 AM
                            • Reply to section 21
                              by jpkeates
                              Section 8 notices don't expire, but some of the grounds are implicitly time based,
                              For example, you might find it tricky now getting possession for anti-social behaviour in January 2021.
                              27-10-2021, 08:15 AM
                            • section 21
                              by lavy
                              Hi How long is a section 8 valid for before i have to serve a new one . I served a section 8 on 1st January 2021 . can i now issue court application for possesion or has this expired and do i need to now issue a section 8 notice again due to the time that has lapsed . Thanks for any confirmations on...
                              27-10-2021, 07:53 AM
                            Working...
                            X