X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pigeons

Hello
    maybe you can help me.
    I am a tenant with a periodic agreement. Since several months pigeons are sitting and dirting on a commercial panel that is at the level of my living room windows. The shop owner of the commercial panel is also a tenant to the same landlord.
    I have requested to the landlord to do something with the pigeons as the excrement deposit grows everyday. It is really dirty and I dont open the windows anymore as if I do it I feel the toxoplasmosys coming trough my window. I'm worry about my health and have a toddler at home, as well.
    The downstairs shop owner had also requested a solution to the pigeons problem.
    I am requesting (only verbally and via email) the place to be clean and some spikes to be put. I have requested at least 5 times and the estate agent replied to me that the landlord hasn't replied to her and she can't do nothing without her authorization.
    I am conversation with the estate agent I mentioned that if the landlord still without given an answer, I will start considering to use the money of the rent to the works. She replied that if I do that probably the landlord will give me notice and make me leave the flat.

my question is: how to make the works done?, in this case, can the landlord give notice just to avoid to do the works?

Just for information: I live alone with my 3 years old daughter. I work full time and I pay my rent without benefits.

thank you in advance for any advice

Cheers

Gianda

Try contacting the Environmental Health at the Council, and maybe have a pest control officer visit as well.

The EHO may have the power to contact your landlord direct (or the owner of the property if your landlord is sub-letting) and give them a time-limit notice to address the problem.
    Try and get the shop owner downstairs to back up your complaint too.

I would, in a first instance, speak to someone at EHO/ Pest Control office at the council for some advice and also to check whether any payments are likely to be born by you- unlikely but things sometimes differ from

Comment

Originally posted by the Optimist View Post
      Try contacting the Environmental Health at the Council, and maybe have a pest control officer visit as well.

The EHO may have the power to contact your landlord direct (or the owner of the property if your landlord is sub-letting) and give them a time-limit notice to address the problem.
      Try and get the shop owner downstairs to back up your complaint too.

I would, in a first instance, speak to someone at EHO/ Pest Control office at the council for some advice and also to check whether any payments are likely to be born by you- unlikely but things sometimes differ from
      Thank you for your prompt reply...I have already talked to the councils (borough and town, both of them) and they said that the Council doesn't deal with pigeons. They forwarded me to DEFRA and in DEFRA they forwarded me to an pest controllers association who just gave names and telephone numbers of the pest controllers in my area.

In the town council, they said it should be the landlord.

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Gianda View Post
        Thank you for your prompt reply...I have already talked to the councils (borough and town, both of them) and they said that the Council doesn't deal with pigeons. They forwarded me to DEFRA and in DEFRA they forwarded me to an pest controllers association who just gave names and telephone numbers of the pest controllers in my area.

In the town council, they said it should be the landlord.

thank you
        I think what the optismist was saying to you is that if you talk to environmental health they may be able to contact the Landlord on your behalf to resolve the problem, rather than them coming out to resolve the issue.

Your landlords address should be on your tenancy agreement, if you feel that the agent is not presenting this issue as urgent, write him a letter and send some photographs of the mess.

Comment

One of our tenants neighbours had the same issue with pigeons, when she phoned the council they told her the same as they told her and the problem was just left.
          We on her behalf phoned Enviromental Health, they came out within a couple of days, served a notice ordering the LL to do it within 14 days or they would come and do it and charge him.

So was it the main Council number you called, or did you speak directly to the Enviromental Health Officers. If you didnt then I would call the council again tomorrow and insist on speaking directly to one. Just keep on at them!

Comment

I think Gianda will be wary of contacting the EHO because she is worried she will be evicted if she does so. It is a valid concern, especially if she is on a periodic tenancy.

I would contact Springfields advice and contact the Landlord directly before involving the EHO and see if this can be resolved amicably. If you do not have the LLs contact details, you can ask for them in WRITING from the agents - they have to supply them within 21 days BY LAW.

For your own information, this page gives details of how and when a landlord can evict an AST tenant. http://www.tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/i...g_evicted/0-21

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X