Tenancy agreement with different first month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy agreement with different first month

I would like to offer an incentive in a new tenancy agreement such that the first month's rent will be reduced, but subsequent months will be at the agreed (higher) amount. Would this in any way compromise the assured shorthold tenancy agreement and are there any other pitfalls?

Thanks for any help.

No, it would be OK; but have it drafted by your solicitor and do NOT try DiY.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

or, do it by side letter which you hand to the tenant at completion ie

Dear Tenant,

In consideration of you today entering into a tenancy of 4 Bloggs Court for 12 months at £800 per month I agree that £200 credit will be allowed by your landlord against the first month's rent.

Yours

Fred landlord

You can show the tenant a draft of the letter to be provided at completion.

I cant see why this cant be done "DIY". what do you say Jeffrey?

Comment

I say what I said.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Indeed you did, but in reality what is your reservation about a side letter? They are used all the time in giving RFPs with commercial lettings..

Comment

Originally posted by quarterday View Post
            Indeed you did, but in reality what is your reservation about a side letter? They are used all the time in giving RFPs with commercial lettings..
            Yup, but much too risky for use by parties both unadvised.

Comment

As risks go, I don't see it as being very major, especially if the tenant is required to sign a standing order mandate form for the full monthly rent in favour of the landlord as from a month after the commencement date.

Comment

OK- you see no risks. OP's £££ is at stake, not yours/mine. So it's for OP to decide one way or the other.

Comment

Without wanting to labour the point (which I suppose I am) what possible risks could there be? The tenant thinking the side letter says something different to what it actually says? If you want to talk about risk, one of the biggest is having an empty property, and especially where the insurance company is not informed that it is unoccupied for more than 30 days. I dont think any insurance company will pay to help you get possession against intruders who define themselves as squatters, whether or not they entered without the use of force.

I cant think its necessary to pay a solicitor to devise a mechanism to allow that, say, the first week is gratis. I've nothing against solicitors per se, except its true to say that most of them, present company excepted, are slow and expensive. Even a junior solicitor charges £150 plus VAT for an hours' work; more experienced ones double that! Dont start me on the old chestnut "Contemplation time"!

A well considered letter under hand ought really to suffice.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen.

I note Jeffrey's caution, though I am still not aware of the pitfalls that may typically result from a DIY approach to this issue. I fear there is not time to have a solicitor
                    create a document as the tenancy is due to be signed the day after tomorrow.

Therefore presumably I must either use a side letter as suggested, or perhaps make the tenancy agreement stipulate a rent of £X for the first rent due date and £Y for each rent due date thereafter?

Comment

of the two options you mention in your final para; I'd go for the side letter.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                        by Shorif908
                        Hi guys,

Thanks for that I have copied the below excerpts from the agreement.

Please do let me know your thoughts.

£550.00 per calendar month which is payable monthly in advance
                        The tenants, X,Y,Z have agreed to pay 3 months rent in advance, totalling to=...
                        27-10-2021, 19:08 PM
                      • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                        by Shorif908
                        Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
                        the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
                        26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
                      • Reply to Pay as you go electricity meter
                        by Herbert
                        Thank you. This is a photo of the meter.
                        27-10-2021, 18:58 PM
                      • Pay as you go electricity meter
                        by Herbert
                        My daughter has just moved into a rental property and finds that the electricity is on a prepayment meter.
                        She wants to switch to a monthly contract but has been told she has to wait 3 weeks.
                        Should the letting agent have told her the electricity was on this type of meter before she moved...
                        27-10-2021, 16:41 PM
                      • Reply to Pay as you go electricity meter
                        by Neelix
                        Just because a property has a satisfactory EICR, that just means on the day of the test it was OK. Just like a car MOT

She should have a copy of the EICR

If she is getting shocks off switches - that could be trouble - so yes it needs reporting and investigating

27-10-2021, 18:56 PM
                      • Reply to What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                        by KTC
                        A tenancy is either a fixed term or it's periodic. This is not a fixed term tenancy. It must thus be a periodic tenancy, merely one where the first period is 12 months long with subsequent period one monthly. There's nothing stopping a tenant from giving notice on day 1 of such a tenancy.
                        27-10-2021, 18:45 PM
                      • What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                        by bananas
                        My son is a student in London and is about to rent a flat with a couple of friends on a one year, then rolling tenancy with two month's notice. It is not a student flat as such, but the landlord has accepted them on a joint tenancy, and the tenancy agreement refers to the tenant in the singular, as...
                        27-10-2021, 16:40 PM
                      • Reply to What are tenants' rights to leave in joint tenancy
                        by KTC
                        "The Tenant may...." gives an option that does not limit any other unspecified options that would otherwise be valid.

"The Tenant" here is referring to all the tenants jointly, so all 3 must agree to give such a notice.

"the...
                        27-10-2021, 18:41 PM
                      • Reply to Increasing rent
                        by jpkeates
                        I've only been involved at a possession hearing on the "other" side (it was my parents in law before anyone accuses me of landlord bashing!).

The maximum that a judge can give to vacate is 42 days (instead of the standard 14).
                        They can award costs the other way, but they...
                        27-10-2021, 18:37 PM
                      • Increasing rent
                        by Berlingogirl
                        Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
                        My tenancy agreement says
                        “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
                        Is there a specific form I should use?...
                        26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
                      Working...
                      X