Help, family renting my house have separated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, family renting my house have separated

The family who've been renting my house for 18 months now have separated, the father (and rent-payer) has moved out, leaving the wife and children in the house. I've just been informed of this, and wonder what to do. I was told by the father who moved out that he intended to keep paying the rent until tha council started paying it, which should be in a month, and that the mother would like to stay in the house with the children for the long-term.
    Is it a good idea to have a single mother renting your house? Should I serve notice for them to move out?

I take it that this was a joint tenancy and therefore both of the joint tenants will be responsible for payment of the rent until the end of the tenancy.

If you are contemplating granting a tenancy to the mother then it would be advisable to prepare a letter to the Benefits Office to be signed by your tenant giving the Housing Benefit Office the right to discuss the circumstances the proposed benefit payments with yourself as landlord.

If Housing Benefit is paid to the mother the Benefits Office may want the tenancy in a single name. There could be a deficit between the amount of benefit and the market rent and so you would need to know how this deficit will be met.

If you serve a Section 21 Notice (search these forums for more information on details) you will be in a position to require possession with an expiry date of two months. If however you grant a new tenancy it will be for six months.

You can enter discussions as to whether or not a new single tenancy can be granted to the mother. This could be subject to guarantor arrangements and income checks etc. You must however ensure that the father, in writing, gives up any interest he has in the existing tenancy agreement prior to the granting of a new single tenancy. Stress that both tenants are jointly liable for the rent until the property is vacated or a new single tenancy is granted.
    Vic - wicked landlord
    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Attending Court - Advice Please
      Muzza
      Hi there

I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
      12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
    • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
      theartfullodger
      Well done: Hope someone got LOTS of evidence (eg photos) of tenant's departure, all belongings gone. You had questionable legal right to change locks: Until bailiffs "execute" the possession order there is still a tenancy, it's still the tenant's home, the tenant's property. Hopefully enough...
      22-01-2018, 19:44 PM
    • Section 21 query
      manchester89
      Hi.

I was looking for some advice in regards to a Section 21 served.

A 6-month tenancy was originally granted in September 2015. Upon expiry a new 1-year fixed term tenancy was signed. Is this a new tenancy or a replacement?

In September the EPC and GSC was given...
      22-01-2018, 12:51 PM
    • Reply to Section 21 query
      manchester89
      I just wanted to make sure my landlord had done things right cause there are lots of things on the internet so its confusing but thank you i have as i don't want to be going through the eviction process with a small child id rather be out as soon as possible....
      22-01-2018, 19:36 PM
    • Invalid section 21 and limiting LL access
      poppyla
      Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you can help me with my issues with my LL. Apologies for the long post, but I’m going through a very stressful time.

My landlord tried to increase my rent “illegally” in Sept/Oct and wanted me to sign a backdated agreement and requested...
      22-01-2018, 15:27 PM
    • Reply to Invalid section 21 and limiting LL access
      theartfullodger
      All very well but realistically you can simply refuse access, change locks, say it's not convenient then. Yes they may have a contractual right but to enforce it they'd need a court order, which would take about as long as evicting you.

And which potential purchaser is going to await a...
      22-01-2018, 18:36 PM
    • Possession claim 'struck out' what can i do next
      lislog
      I filed a section 8 notice (correctly i believe) then a possession claim on line. The court hearing was 6th Dec - in stupidity or naivety having had no experience with the law before, i did not realise i had to attend the court hearing for a straightforward case of rental arrears (tenant owes £3000...
      10-01-2018, 09:22 AM
    • Reply to Possession claim 'struck out' what can i do next
      Muzza
      Id try and get it reinstated, if she didnt show the first time or make arrangments to pay its unlikely she will the second time, I recently had to fly back from the US to attend court on a section 8 and was in and out in 15 minutes - good luck to you.
      22-01-2018, 18:22 PM
    • Reply to Invalid section 21 and limiting LL access
      poppyla
      Yeah, i read all 33 pages of the thread... it is difficult though to understand exactly where i stand when it's so personal, rather than theoretical question!

They already pointed out which clauses say they can come in. There's one that says the landlord, his agent and any person authorised...
      22-01-2018, 18:09 PM
    • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
      Muzza
      UPDATE

Ok I flew home to attend court on 4th January, I was in and out in 15 minutes, possession was granted on rent arrears alone and anyone living in the house was given 14 days to leave, the tenant was also ordered to pay all arrears and court fee.

This meant they had to...
      22-01-2018, 18:05 PM
    Working...
    X