Tenant to repair damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by property mongrel View Post
    I don't know what sort of cistern it is, but if tampering has caused "leaking", as opposed to "overflowing" either through the overflow or between lid and body of cistern, then there is something not right. Is the ball/riser valve not stopping the water when the cistern is up to level, and or is the overflow pipe blocked, missing or was never fitted?

What has T done to it?

pm
    The leaking can come from the two holes that are in the back of the cistern to fix the toilet to the wall. They are slightly lower than overflow/flush pipe (where water would/should feed into the toilet bowl). If the toilet is not fixed to the wall then these holes provide a nice escape route for the water.
    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
      The leaking can come from the two holes that are in the back of the cistern to fix the toilet to the wall. They are slightly lower than overflow/flush pipe (where water would/should feed into the toilet bowl). If the toilet is not fixed to the wall then these holes provide a nice escape route for the water.
      Think you meant slightly higher. Leaks can come from several places, I wonder where this particular leak is happening? MR M, do you have the answer?

pm
      Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

I think that if the deposit is "topped up" it may amount to a new deposit requiring protection.

Comment

I am of the opinion that everybody is going around the houses here!
          If the landlord uses some of the tenant's deposit money to effect the repairs while the tenant is still in residence then the landlords deposit reserve is dangerously low against any more damage that this tenant might cause. It is possible that the ball valve can be simply adjusted so that the valve cuts off the water supply before the fixing holes are reached - simple fix. The tenant should be served with a section 21 notice immediately and got rid of as soon as possible as he appears incapable of behaving in a "tenant like" manner. Eventually that overflow pipe needs shortening so that water cannot escape from the fixing holes before overflowing down the pipe.

P.P.
          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

I agree with P Pilcher. We have the odd tenant or ten where strange things happen, such as radiators just randomly falling off walls whilst the tenant's children were just innocently watching TV and definitely were not pulling on said radiator, and how dare I accuse them etc... :-) Agreeing with the tenant to use their deposit to cover this is only going to leave you with a reduced deposit that may not meet your needs at the end of the tenancy. Also as an aside, I know this doesn't apply to the OP but if the deposit is held in a client money account and you use it before the end of the tenancy you risk getting into trouble with your protection provoder as well, as if they audit you then they will expect to see it there in full.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X