Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet and cistern

Hi everyone

am in the Middle East, there was a leak in my house at home, I have a letter from the agent saying they need to put a new toilet and cistern in at a cost of £400.68 inc VAT.

I wondered if anyone knew if this was an average price?

Hope to hear from you, kind regards
    Alex

This is not a bad price for a Carrara marble WC with gold fittings
    Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

Comment

Wow! That's what seems to happen when people think they can remotely run their business.

Out of interest, in your contract with the agent, does it specify a maximum figure for repairs above which the landlord has to be consulted? (Have I misunderstood? Has the work been carried out yet?)

Comment

Tell me where I can get one !! A new bathroom suite was only £299.00 from B & Q although I don't know about fitting charges as we did ours ourselves! It does seem pricey. Get the Agent to get another couple of quotes to YOUR specification ...

Originally posted by lawstudent View Post
        This is not a bad price for a Carrara marble WC with gold fittings
        Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

HOW MUCH!!! When I moved into my partners house we had to repalce the Toilet pan and it cost around £30. We removed the old pan and fitted the new one ourselves, took about 1 hour and we are not plumbers! I think Toilets with cisterns are about £50 tops then you got about 2 hours labour max so say £50 an hour you are talking £150 all in! ... I expect the agent o factor his costs in too, I would want to see the Quote from the contractor and see who is ripping off who!
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Many agents have agreements with local tradesmen where if any work is required they'll call them for the work.

What the agent is gaining here is probably a nice commission (in percentages so the more is charged the more he gets).

Comment

The agent has sent me the quote yeh, i've requested that any work above £50 they consult me. A colleague reckons you can get a toilet for aroun 80-100 sterling its the plumbers time that would be expensive, maybe 100-150 max for labour, I've mailed the agent to ask the extent of the 'leak' and request further quotes.

A

Comment

To get an idea of the actual cost of the goods, check on line on the B & Q site and also Wickes site .. don't forget that a plumber will have a trade account and will get a reduction off the listed RRP price .. so the price you see on line should be the maximum you would be likley to pay .. and most plumbers have their own suppliers that are cheaper than the likes of B & Q etc ...
                Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Could ask the agent why the pan and cistern required replacing and a breakdown of the labour and parts cost for the work that was actually completed.

Mechanical parts to the cistern can be repaired. If the pan and cistern have been broken couldn't that be something that should be paid for by the tenant (it should be covered by the tenant's contents policy)
                  Vic - wicked landlord
                  Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
                  Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Is it possible for you to arrange a plumber to go and take a look. Probably only take a couple of phone calls.

I know this is the agent's job, but it looks like they are ripping you off.

This leak may well be able to be repaired without the need for a whole new wc.

Tass

Comment

About six months ago I had a similar problem with a similar (astronomical) cost. One of my long term tenants telephoned to state that her toilet pan had broken and flooded the whole bathroom. She had called out a plumber (one of those instant fix it at astronomical cost firms). As such a failure needed immediate repair there was very little I could do. The plumber arrived, looked and declared that it had been repaired before. He stated that he could do so again but it would invariably fail eventually. My tenant knows my attitude to such things, read my mind and instructed the plumber to replace the whole thing which he did within an hour or two. If it wasn't an emergency I could eventually have found a plumber who would have replaced same for much less, but this was the only toilet in the house and a rapid repair/replacement was called for. You pays your money and takes your choice. At least, on inspection, he did a good job.

P.P.
                      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

I'm not sure which part of the Country your property is in but it can be almost impossible to get a plumber out to you for much less that £100. A decent WC and cistern could be £200 plus the fitting, feed pipes and soil pipes can need modifying if it is an old installation.

I would say you are paying the top price for the job just bordering on it being extortionate. This is exactly what you would expect if you are out of the Country and an agent is managing the job. They are hardly going to jump through hoops to get you the best price when you are in the Middle East are they?

m

Comment

Originally posted by Midbloke View Post
                          This is exactly what you would expect if you are out of the Country and an agent is managing the job. They are hardly going to jump through hoops to get you the best price when you are in the Middle East are they?
                          It makes no difference whether the LL is in Tooting or Timbuktou: some agents are real professionals who are interested in doing their best for their clients, wherever they are; others are selfish, lazy charlatans who don't give a hoot about their clients, wherever they are.
                          Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

Comment

Originally posted by lawstudent View Post
                            It makes no difference whether the LL is in Tooting or Timbuktou: some agents are real professionals who are interested in doing their best for their clients, wherever they are; others are selfish, lazy charlatans who don't give a hoot about their clients, wherever they are.
                            Agent I sacked two or three years ago quoted my brother in law £1600 for a repair, he lives many miles away. As I am local, he asked me to get quotes, we got a real professional in, job done with praise from the tenant for £700. Nuff said.

Comment

Thanks ever so much everybody for taking the time to reply, it's very much appreciated.

I've managed to get in touch with a friend who has managed to get in touch with a plumber who estimates without looking around 200, he's gonna take a look next week, so that's great news.

AND just to add to my wallet worries, the other agent with my other house wants £850 for a new double glass patio doors with frame because the bloomin runners on the bottom of the door are all of a sudden nackered.

What are peoples experiences with Agents, do you just have to pay up and shut up?

I'm gonna email the other agent and ask why the pan and cistern required replacing.

regards
                              Alex

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
                                Gordonmrln
                                I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                                20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                leaseholder64
                                I wasn't aware that the identity of council tax payers was a public record. You might be able to get a statement that it wasn't you. without breaching the Data Protection Act.
                                23-07-2017, 23:27 PM
                              • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                JP23
                                Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                                23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                              • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                jjlandlord
                                I'd hope so! They run a business after all....
                                23-07-2017, 22:32 PM
                              • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                KTC
                                The main problem I have for the charge being passed on is that often times (esp. through agents) the charge is actually considerably more than the protection fee they pay the schemes. It's been used as another way for agents (or landlords) to make money.
                                23-07-2017, 22:29 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                Wright76
                                Your still confusing your own council tax liability at your current address with that of the rental property.

If no-one was registered as living there then you would have been billed as landlord. The fact that you haven't been indicates that they are aware of who was tenant. ASK THEM FOR...
                                23-07-2017, 22:18 PM
                                Wright76
                                To be fair lvkn yes the rent covers everything you state, but the 48 pound charge Is your choice and is avoidable.

You choose to use an insurance based scheme and hold the tenants money collecting interest. How is it fair to force that charge on your tenant each time?

With...
                                23-07-2017, 22:06 PM
                                Lvkn
                                Hello
                                i am a landlord and have insurance based deposit protection (I hold the deposit in segregated client account and register it with My Deposits) every time a new contract is drawn up we have to pay £48. If a tenancy is renewed, we pay £48. If someone moves out of one of our multiple tenant...
                                23-07-2017, 20:27 PM
                              • Excessive estate agent fees
                                Cml241
                                I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                                21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
                              • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                                Wright76
                                If you have no ongoing contract with the agent and it was "find" only, they have no right to force you into a new AST.

Depending on the terms of your contract there's nothing to prevent you, if your feeling confident, in renewing the contract yourself and taking over.
                                23-07-2017, 19:11 PM
                              Working...
                              X