New Tennat Moved In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tennat Moved In

Hi i am new to the forum and i hope i am posting in the right place.

Me and my Fiance rented a house for 3 years from a letting agency. In july this year we gave our 2 months notice to move out. 2 weeks before the final date i went back to the house to put the bins out and collect the post (we still had the key). I discovered that a new tennat had already been moved in that weekend. We had not received our final inspection or been told of this.

They are now wanting to charge us money to redecorate the house. We were going to do this in the last 2 weeks but that option was taken away from us. We went back painted the 2 upstairs rooms and the kitchen. We did not do the lounge as the new tennat stated she wished to repaint - we have been told even if this is the case we still have to do it.

As of today they wish to charge us £240 to do one coat in the lounge and the stairs.

I was wondering did they violate the agreement by moving someone else in, not giving us a final inspection or time to redecorate??

Would we be able to claim the money back in court?

Sincerely
    Pippa

When did you think the last day of your tenancy was/would be - and had you paid any rent for the last month of the tenancy (assuming rent was payable monthly?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

The date we stated in our written letter was the 26th of September and yes rent was paid for that month.

Comment

Originally posted by Mvi-6 View Post
        The date we stated in our written letter was the 26th of September and yes rent was paid for that month.
        But on what date did the three-year term expire, and was it on that date that you moved out?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

So you had not been living at the property after about the second week in Sept, and the LL moved someone else in?

Had you given him any reason to think that you would be agreeable to him doing that before the end of your tenancy?

Final question - was the original fixed term AST for the whole three years, or had your tenancy become periodic (month by month)?
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Our Tenancy was Renewed every 6 months before a full year was up. We moved in on 27th sept 2007. So every march and sept we renewed our contract and payed the renewal fee.

The house was empty bar a few things. We had bought a house in august so we had been living there. We knew we were still required to give 2 months notice and rent.

We never stated we were ok with them moving someone in - we were never contacted to say they were showing people round - we were still waiting for them to arrange our final inspection.

Comment

You still need to state on exactly what date your most recent six-month renewal expired and on exactly what date you actually vacated.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

From what i understand our latest 6month renewal expired on the 27th september.

We fully moved all of our things out on the 4th september.

Every month we payed advanced rent on the 27th (of each month)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X