Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent was going to act tomorrow, waste disposal

Hi
    i have a tenant from hell, they did a bunk just over 2 weeks ago owing over £2000 in rent, i secured my house (as they had bust every door lock in the property) only to find the following day they had forced entry and had stolen my furniture.
    The problem i have is regardless of the rent owed and the break in, i find myself left with massive pile of waste and i mean like 100 black bags plus a garage full of junk fridge car seats etc, you see my tenant was into house clearances and what was of any use he sold at the boot sale and anything that was of no use he just dumped at my property.

My question is am i within my rights to drop it all off at his new property (which i have found out his address as he kindly left his deposit slip at my property)have spoken to 3 differnt lots of police and 2 lots say yes i am within my rights and, one says no i cant dorp his stuff off to him because i can get done for flytipping as its not his property i will be tipping it all on but his lanlords .

I have the van loaded up and ready to go.....but where do i go with it, i 100% have just about enough and dont see why i should pay £180 to have his stuff removed.

thanks in advance

Okay, not a legal response, but I'd draw a parallel with tree branches that overhang your garden. You can cut them off, but you HAVE to return them to the owner (because they belong to him).

Therefore, I believe you are perfectly within your rights to return the goods to the tenant - BUT - you have an obligation to protect those goods from damage, so you can only leave the goods there if the tenant accepts them off you (ie they may be damaged / stolen in his garden).

HOWEVER - if you take a witness and the tenant doesn't accept them off you, you can ask if that means he wants you to dump them. If so, just drive to the tip instead.

Comment

Hi Snorkerz
      Thanks for your reply,its so confusing i cant keep his stuff i cant get rid of it without a signature off him (which i wont get because he always used to hide from me, so me turning up at his property wont go to well) and if i sell any any of it i have to give the proceeds back to him minus any costs i.e ebay fees.
      It states i have to give him 4 weeks to reply to a letter asking permission to dump his rubbish back on him, the council have all ready written to me reagrding the pile up at my property. I mean why should i keep his rubbish at mine for 4 weeks??

I cant even hand it all back to him, unless i tip it on him lol theres just too much of it .
      I cant take a 3.5 ton lorry to the tip, im so angry, the police wont even do him for theft, even though my leather sofa is outside his property, the police said we will make a note of the sofa being outside but wont act.

The law stinks!!

GRRR

Comment

could you write to him telling him the good news that you will be returning his stuff at (date and time). The onus is then on him to stow it away safely!
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by nick-knack View Post

My question is am i within my rights to drop it all off at his new property (which i have found out his address as he kindly left his deposit slip at my property)have spoken to 3 differnt lots of police and 2 lots say yes i am within my rights and, one says no i cant dorp his stuff off to him because i can get done for flytipping as its not his property i will be tipping it all on but his lanlords .
          What's the set-up at the new house? I mean, is there a front garden big enough to dump all the junk? Do you know for a fact that he's renting this property and living there, and not just staying on a friend's sofa? And is he renting a house? (not a flat with a communal garden/yard)

Assuming the answers to the above are yes, then the garden's part of the rental property - it does not 'belong' to the landlord, the tenant has exclusive rights over it for the duration of his tenancy. (The police are often very ill-informed about landlord & tenant law).

So, I'd do as others suggest, send a letter (keep copy and proof of posting - a *free* certificate of posting is recommended because signed-for services may be refused) giving notice that you will deliver the stuff on a certain date/time, unless he informs you of a more convenient time. Then deliver the stuff with a witness present and take loads of photos, too. You could also try asking the police (the ones who said it was okay) if an officer could attend as another witness.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X