Permission for boyfriend to move in ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permission for boyfriend to move in ?

I want my boyfriend to move in but when i said to landlady that he will be moving in soon she said i had to ask her permission for him to. Is this the case?

Thanks

Originally posted by emmy1977 View Post
    I want my boyfriend to move in but when i said to landlady that he will be moving in soon she said i had to ask her permission for him to. Is this the case?

Thanks
    I am assuming this is an AST and that your LL lives in a different property from you. In that case, yes, I think it is, as your tenancy agreement probably prohibits you from moving in addition tenants/lodgers/long-term guests without the LL's permission. Apart from anything else, she will (presumably) have let the property to you on the basis that you would be the sole tenant, and fixed the rent on that basis (ie assuming wear and tear would be minimal, etc). Also, it probably doesn't apply with only two tenants, but there could be issues to do with overcrowding and if you decided to invite more than just your bf to live there, she may be into HMO territory.

It seems reasonable to me that you should ask her consent first. If you do this politely, reassure her that it will only be the one extra person, and perhaps even offer to pay a little more rent to reflect the increased wear and tear, it may placate her. In the end though if she says no, then its tough. You could move him in, but she could evict you on grounds of breach of contract.

If you want him to have proper tenant status equal to yours (and be jointly responsible for the tenancy, bills, rent, etc), then you would all have to sign a new tenancy agreement. Otherwise he would (I think) just have the status of your lodger, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

If your LL lives on the premises, then she has a perfect right to refuse to allow your bf to move in to what is also her home.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      I am assuming this is an AST and that your LL lives in a different property from you. In that case, yes, I think it is, as your tenancy agreement probably prohibits you from moving in addition tenants/lodgers/long-term guests without the LL's permission. Apart from anything else, she will (presumably) have let the property to you on the basis that you would be the sole tenant, and fixed the rent on that basis (ie assuming wear and tear would be minimal, etc). Also, it probably doesn't apply with only two tenants, but there could be issues to do with overcrowding and if you decided to invite more than just your bf to live there, she may be into HMO territory.

It seems reasonable to me that you should ask her consent first. If you do this politely, reassure her that it will only be the one extra person, and perhaps even offer to pay a little more rent to reflect the increased wear and tear, it may placate her. In the end though if she says no, then its tough. You could move him in, but she could evict you on grounds of breach of contract.

If you want him to have proper tenant status equal to yours (and be jointly responsible for the tenancy, bills, rent, etc), then you would all have to sign a new tenancy agreement. Otherwise he would (I think) just have the status of your lodger, but I'm not entirely sure about that.
      Also if he caused a lot of damages, or ran up bills and didn't pay them it would come down on your head as it's your name on the tenancy agreement. Something to bare in mind. If there was a rent increase for an extra person it shouldn't be much. But I would reccomend getting the AST agreement re-drafted to protect yourself.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X