Mould problem! HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is the problem see my post #42.
    The structure gets cold during the day/night get the right type of heater not a fan heater, and leave it on a lower setting as their output cannot match central heating for warming a building quickly.

Relocate furniture away from cold spots, and close the curtains when you are out to insulate the windows.

Poor decisions happen I once almost rented a flat which had stunning views, two minutes stroll to work, big south facing outside area, and then it hit me the three flights of outside metal fire escape access would be lethal in winter.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, but to be fair its not realistic really... I mean we were given our current heaters by the landlord to use in his property as there is no central heating. We are renting under a 6month contract, unfortunately we dont have the spare money to go out and buy 3+ new [right] heaters that we are only going to leave behind when we leave, however if they were provided to us of course we would have no problem using them. Im sure you can understand where i am coming from, as i do with you?

Comment

we contacted EH on monday for some advice only, spoke to LA yesterday and asked how long the LL had to take action, they replied "How long is a piece of string" which was the final straw so i reported it formally to EH and they said the LL has 4 weeks to action and within that time frame someone from EH will be visiting... LA couldnt resist a confrontation though, manager rang me up and said i had already been to EH and reported them, and after listening to her say it was "transparent" and chip in "i thought it was multiple shoes not just one pair" i had said i sought advice on monday (they received a letter with that date) but i had only reported it yesterday, she told me "there is no need to lie to us, its no skin off our nose" - i got fed up and said "as i said before i only reported it today, i sought advice on monday, so there are no lies" she then just said bye and hung up. WHAT THE HELL?

Outcome though, someone is coming round on friday to measure our windows, im assuming this means double glazing?

Comment

Originally posted by stephwa View Post
          I understand what you are saying, but to be fair its not realistic really... I mean we were given our current heaters by the landlord to use in his property as there is no central heating. We are renting under a 6month contract, unfortunately we dont have the spare money to go out and buy 3+ new [right] heaters that we are only going to leave behind when we leave, however if they were provided to us of course we would have no problem using them. Im sure you can understand where i am coming from, as i do with you?
          If you refer back to my post on being provided with an EPC where failure is a fine of £200 there may be a basis to negotiate with the landlord.

It might be that heaters cost less than the damage to clothing and misery and that they take priority over any discretionary expenditure. I am afraid there is no rapid solution and your landlord has little interest. Even with new windows, it just means the warm moist air will just condense on other colder surfaces, you need heating and ventilation.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Get your Landlord to buy an Dehumidifier they are now only about £80/90. (they were £260/£400 28 years ago) End of problem.

Comment

Getting double glazed windows, hopefully this will help the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by stephwa View Post
                Getting double glazed windows, hopefully this will help the situation.
                Well, it will, as long as you still ventilate the property adequately as well as heat it.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Begining to think you have an internal plumbing leak.
                  Where in the country are you???????
                  ( your DG may make matters worse as it will encourage the dampness onto the walls, where you can't wipe it off as easy)

Comment

I'm in England, hornchurch to be more precise. I honestly think he ventilate as much as the next person, I open my windows here a lot more than my previous place. I have raised our concerns about the wet on the wall where the kitchen is, twice before but I think the LA has told the management company

Comment

I think there's more to your damp problem than usual.
                      It can only be one or more of 5 things,

1, rising damp
                      2, penetrating damp
                      3, internal plumbing leak
                      4, condensation
                      5, external flood (ie recent events in Pakistan.)

There are many factors and you need someone onsite to investigate who isn't trying to sell you a product, who know their stuff. I'd be happy to come and have a look but sorry you are to far away.

But;
                      check gutters for leaks, check porosity of walls ie pointing, rain splash to lower wall? check ground hieght in relation to DPC, underground drains may be leaking, check exsistance / type / condition of DPC, wall type, insulation of wall? check for cold bridging, type / conditon of plaster, floor type/level/DPC. the list goes on and on.
                      I think your problem is likely to be a combination of things but generally your problem is poor construction and theres not alot you can about that.
                      But as its not your place as I have said before, buy a dehumidifier, when you leave the property you can take it with you. You will be amazed how much difference they can make.
                      Your lucky you are down south, its proper damp up north, we have to use a snorkel just to watch Coronation Street.

Make sure you dont dry clothes or towels inside.

May the force be with you.

Comment

ha thank you, i think we will be off as soon as the contract is up

Comment

Yes definately. The humidifier helped my friend with a similar situation. The landlord paid all expenses. I imagine you would be in a similar position. property-empire.co.uk

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X