Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• islandgirl
    replied
    Wonder what happened in the end...maybe we will never know!

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Neighbour is not being an idiot. you employed a Contractor without checking he had Ins cover. What if he fell off his ladder whilst painting exterior first floor window and was unable to work for 4 weeks, would you have paid for his downtime?
    Fence spray is water-soluble until dry so I might advise washing the car with soapy warm water before reaching for the T Cut.

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Holy zombie thread resurrection

Leave a comment:

• Kadji
    replied
    Dear sometime accidents happen. He or you have not done it purposely. If your contractor has offered to clean it from some place that’s very nice of him but if he refuse it than Its not your problem. Sometime neighbour looking for such oppertunity and want to fix other things as well in your cost

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    Which is why you don't negotiate!

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    I agree with Jeffrey. Where you are insured starting negotiations without referring to your insurers may prejudice your cover.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy35
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Er..why not? Surely that would have helped avoided all this hassle?
    whoops! typo...

meant to say use a contractor who does have PL!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post
    I would try other avenues first as you dont want your premiums increased due to someones elses sloppy work.
    I disagree- if one tries other avenues first, one might even lose that insurance cover. To protect it, at least report to the Insurer the possibility of a later claim. Maybe also ask for the Insurer's guidance on what to say to the contractor and to the neighbour; until then, I'd say nothing!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post

Oh and dont use a contractor with PL cover in future!
    Er..why not? Surely that would have helped avoided all this hassle?

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    You can still do as the wise Jeffrey says but call the neighbours bluff!
    As in : 'Hi, Bluff! Nice car' ?

Leave a comment:

• Poppy35
    replied
    I was going to suggest the same as Jeffrey as you will have this cover for disputes in your home insurance however I would try other avenues first as you dont want your premiums increased due to someones elses sloppy work.

Oh and dont use a contractor with PL cover in future!

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    I wouldn't make any offer - tell the neighbour it is between him and the painter and wash your hands of it right away (so to speak). You can still do as the wise Jeffrey says but call the neighbours bluff!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by mark41 View Post
    thanks guys, will write to him offering to polish car at my expense and time, if he refuses then will wash my hands of it.**
    ** Good joke! However, the actions/omissions of your contractor might be deemed yours; so contact your own insurer AT ONCE.

Leave a comment:

• mark41
    replied
    thanks guys, will write to him offering to polish car at my expense and time, if he refuses then will wash my hands of it.

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    Originally posted by mark41 View Post
    yeah you and I know that, but the neighbour is being a real idiot, he is going on about compensation and the hiring of a car,

That sounds way over the top. I don't suppose the car has been immobilised by a bit of overspray.

what enrages me is the contractor has offered a sollution but he has refused to co-operate,

That sounds like the contractor has made a reasonable offer which he has refused.

he thinks as I am the landlord that I have limitless amounts of cash, ( he has a lot to learn) what I would like to know if I am liable or can I just walk away and let him deal with contractor, he is threatening court action if I do not pay for repair.
    I can't really say, I was a mechanic not a lawyer. Personally I would tell him to stick his car where the sun don't shine, but that may not be the right answer.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X