My painting contractor damaged neighbour's car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My painting contractor damaged neighbour's car

Hi there, an outside contactor I employed, accidently oversprayed on to my neighbours vehicle whilst painting the fence, neighbour insists on getting his car repaired with a garage of his choosing, contractor has offered to repair car at a bodyshop that he has had business dealings with before, neighbour has refused and has asked for details of the contractors insurance, it has come to light that the contractor has no public liability and is not insured. The neighbour has said that it is my property, hence I am liable for the cost of repair, can anyone please advise me? Thanks

What sort of paint was the contractor using? Car paint and fence paint are very different, using 'T'cut and a bit of elbow grease will almost certainly remove any overspray from the car.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

he was using spray on water based fence spray, he was painting the fence and the over spray went onto neighbours car

Comment

Then definitely 'T' cut. Try it on a small area first, the only danger will be if the original paint has been repaired previously and has only a thin layer of topcoat on it. Use good muslin type rags and finish off with a good quality polish.

Just to add, if the overspray has a greyish dusty appearance then it had already air dried before it hit the car and that will be really easy to remove.
        Last edited by jta; 11-10-2010, 18:15 PM. Reason: just to add....

Comment

yeah you and I know that, but the neighbour is being a real idiot, he is going on about compensation and the hiring of a car, what enrages me is the contractor has offered a sollution but he has refused to co-operate, he thinks as I am the landlord that I have limitless amounts of cash, ( he has a lot to learn) what I would like to know if I am liable or can I just walk away and let him deal with contractor, he is threatening court action if I do not pay for repair.

Comment

I think you take jta's expert advice and put it in writing to him that there is probably a simple way of removing the excess spray paint and that you would be happy to try to do so, without prejudice as it were.

If he is unwilling even to let you try, then wash your hands of it. It's the contractor's problem, not yours or the T's. Contractor should have had PLI. Let N deal direct with contractor.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mark41 View Post
              yeah you and I know that, but the neighbour is being a real idiot, he is going on about compensation and the hiring of a car,

That sounds way over the top. I don't suppose the car has been immobilised by a bit of overspray.

what enrages me is the contractor has offered a sollution but he has refused to co-operate,

That sounds like the contractor has made a reasonable offer which he has refused.

he thinks as I am the landlord that I have limitless amounts of cash, ( he has a lot to learn) what I would like to know if I am liable or can I just walk away and let him deal with contractor, he is threatening court action if I do not pay for repair.
              I can't really say, I was a mechanic not a lawyer. Personally I would tell him to stick his car where the sun don't shine, but that may not be the right answer.

Comment

thanks guys, will write to him offering to polish car at my expense and time, if he refuses then will wash my hands of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mark41 View Post
                  thanks guys, will write to him offering to polish car at my expense and time, if he refuses then will wash my hands of it.**
                  ** Good joke! However, the actions/omissions of your contractor might be deemed yours; so contact your own insurer AT ONCE.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I wouldn't make any offer - tell the neighbour it is between him and the painter and wash your hands of it right away (so to speak). You can still do as the wise Jeffrey says but call the neighbours bluff!
                    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

I was going to suggest the same as Jeffrey as you will have this cover for disputes in your home insurance however I would try other avenues first as you dont want your premiums increased due to someones elses sloppy work.

Oh and dont use a contractor with PL cover in future!

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                        You can still do as the wise Jeffrey says but call the neighbours bluff!
                        As in : 'Hi, Bluff! Nice car' ?
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post

Oh and dont use a contractor with PL cover in future!
                          Er..why not? Surely that would have helped avoided all this hassle?

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post
                            I would try other avenues first as you dont want your premiums increased due to someones elses sloppy work.
                            I disagree- if one tries other avenues first, one might even lose that insurance cover. To protect it, at least report to the Insurer the possibility of a later claim. Maybe also ask for the Insurer's guidance on what to say to the contractor and to the neighbour; until then, I'd say nothing!
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                              Er..why not? Surely that would have helped avoided all this hassle?
                              whoops! typo...

meant to say use a contractor who does have PL!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X