Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Landlord

Hi all,

I hope someone can assist. I am helping my brother evict a tenant. My brother lives in a house where he occupies one room. He lets out 3 other rooms in the house. All share the bathroom and kitchen.

He gave a tenant a AST for 6 months despite the fact that he should really be classed as a licencee. I have searches a lot on this on the interent and get different answers as to whether he is a tenant or a Licencee. The fact that my bro has given an AST agreement does not help and in fact hinders him I think.

Can anyway point me in the right direction of the relevant law and whether giving an AST agreement for a room with a resident landlord makes it a Assured shorthold tenant or whether this makes no difference and he is still classed as a licencee.

Thanks,.

As your brother is resident, the occupier O:
    a. is a lodger/licensee (not a tenant);
    b. has no statutory rights; but
    c. does have whatever contractual rights were granted by the written Agreement (which is valid, although not as an AST).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Jeffrey

Thank you so much. The tenant (or shall I say Licencee) is trying to be clever and quoting AST law. Is there any particualr section of the Housing Acts I can look at which confirm this point so I can write to him and put him straight.

Another point I have found from my search on the internet is that if I serve him a notice to quit and he does not leave he becomes a tresspasser and I have to go to Court to evict him. Is this correct.

Comment

Originally posted by mo999 View Post
        Thank you so much. The tenant (or shall I say Licencee) is trying to be clever and quoting AST law. Is there any particualr section of the Housing Acts I can look at which confirm this point so I can write to him and put him straight.
        Try paragraph 10 of Schedule 1 to the Housing Act 1988. See post #38 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=28889.

Another point I have found from my search on the internet is that if I serve him a notice to quit and he does not leave he becomes a tresspasser and I have to go to Court to evict him. Is this correct.
        Yes. He has no statutory rights at all. Once his contract ends, he's out!
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you so much...

Comment

My brother lives in a house where he occupies one room. He lets out 3 other rooms in the house. All share the bathroom and kitchen.
            Is your brother aware that the house is possibly an HMO?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Labour taxation plans
              by SouthernDave
              The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have bow been caught by IR35. It spoils ot for those of us who ha e proper companies who used to enjoy the (small) benefits of being directors....
              22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
            • Labour taxation plans
              by steaming
              Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
              20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
            • Reply to Labour taxation plans
              by SouthernDave
              Agreed. Peoples care should not be down to those who work hard to pay for. The levy is a joke and im disappointed in the conservatives for doing it....
              22-01-2022, 17:52 PM
            • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
              by SouthernDave
              I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
              22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
            • Greetings, I Come in Peace
              by AVJ113
              Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
              20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
            • Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
              by AndrewDod
              I think you need to ask whether he/she is responsible for the things you say, and whether these warrant immediate attention as you think they do:

a) leaking shower - what do you mean exactly. Leak from where, when...
              b) broken burglar alarm - what is broken? What does your contract...
              22-01-2022, 16:59 PM
            • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
              by Lucylou99
              Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
              21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
            • Reply to Occupational rent to an executor.
              by Lawcruncher
              It is in the nature of co-ownership that each owner owns the whole and each is therefore entitled to occupy the whole. The sister's right.therefore is not to receive rent but to occupy the property as well. If the sister does not want to share occupation but wants some benefit then, keeping things simple,...
              22-01-2022, 16:08 PM
            • Occupational rent to an executor.
              by Yoda 111
              I am currently living in my deceased mother's house which I have lived in for 46 years my sister is the executor of the Will. My mother died in February 2020 so nearly 2 years ago and now my sister want's to charge me occupational rent from the time of death up until grant of probate was granted may...
              20-01-2022, 19:44 PM
            • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
              by AVJ113
              Not at all, it's all very informative, thank you. I think I might opt out of criterion 3 though, I'm not a pie and chips man myself....
              22-01-2022, 15:20 PM
            Working...
            X