• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


    Hi all, i am new to this forum and would appreciate your advice on how to proceed with getting repairs done to my rented property. Forgive me if I ramble but I've no idea how much info people might like to see so I'll add in anything I can.

    We applied to view a new property to rent that was still being built (but was almost finished) Both myself and my partner liked what we saw so applied for it. We were accepted and gave notice in our old house. Moving day approached and 2 days before we were due out of our old property we were told that the mains electric hadn't been connected but was due to be done 2 days after we moved in. We had no choice but to agree to have the electric wired into the house next door (which is owned by the same Landlord) which was empty at the time as we had nowhere else to go. The 2 days came and went, we heard nothing about our electric being connected. Eventually the house next door was rented and the subject of shared electric came up between ourselves and the new guy next door, we agreed to split the bill down the middle when it came and talk to the Landlord about sorting it out.

    It has come to light that the "hold up" in getting our electric connected is because the main power line needs to run across someone else driveway. The guy who's drive it is is quite happy for the work to be done as long as his driveway is re tarmaced. As he is still waiting for the line of rubble left across his drive when the water mains were fitted to be recovered. I totally understand his point in not letting the work be carried out until my Landlord agrees to totally recover his driveway.

    It has now been 14 months since we moved in and our electric has started cutting out (tripping the trip switches) when we use "too much power" (ie having the kettle on while hoovering up).

    We have also had problems with damp in the bathroom which has so far been there for 8 months with no action being taken at all to correct it despite us contacting our Landlord once every 2 weeks - 1 month about this. The underfloor heating in the bathroom also doesn't work and it has been 6 months since this was reported (along with the monthly reminders) The damp and lack of heating in the bathroom has led to mildew on all of the walls.

    I know that all these problems are the Landlords responsibility to fix but how do we get him to actually take action and not just make all the right noises when we call him? We dont want to annoy him so much that he asks us to leave as we like the property (if it was fixed ofc) and we can not afford the bond etc to move.

    It's too long to give you a definitive answer but your landlord is in serious breach of Health & Safety issues as well as a raft of other legislation (Landlord & Tenant Act 1985, Protection from Eviciton Act 1977, Defective Premises Act 1972) and much more besides!

    Call in the Health & Safety Executive and the Environmental Health Officer from your local authority who can serve Notice on your landlord to sort it out pronto!

    What's more is you are entitled to compensation for all this inconvenience and you should negotiate an acceptable figure with your landlord. He can't ignore the matter and any reasons (excuses) he has will not wash, as you are entitled to have everything in proper working order! Any delay etc. is his problem not yours.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


      Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems with your new house. I dont know what to suggest about the electric problem (sorry!) but im sure someone else will have some good advice.
      I am also renting a new build, and any problems which have come up so far, I have informed the landlord, but I have then phoned the buidling company, in our case, Barratt, and they have come out to fix it. I think you need to set some guidelines out with your landlord. I know that landlords are required to repair any problems, but I have no problem with organising this myself, so long as I am not out of pocket. I like my home, I want to stay here long term, and I look after it as if it was my own. It is also easier for me to arrange any repairs, rather than going through a middle man so to speak, who doesnt know when I will be here. It also sorts out the problem of waiting for the landlord to do something about it, which lets face it, its not really affecting their everyday life is it? Nor are they out of pocket, so sometimes their time scale is not the same as ours! The problems you describe sound like they will be covered under the guarentee that comes with new builds, so I suggest you ask your landlord for the number to contact to get these repairs sorted.
      This has just reminded me, I need them to come out to look at the heating (again!) and must do it before the 2 years is up (9th September!) Better put that on my 'to do list'!
      Good luck!


        Originally posted by PinkGlitterGirl View Post
        <snip> It is also easier for me to arrange any repairs, rather than going through a middle man so to speak, who doesnt know when I will be here. <snip>
        An excellent attitude and arrangement PinkGlitterGirl. Wish there were more tenants like you!!!!!

        Of course where works involve actual expenditure the landlord must approve the costs with the contractor before you arrange the appointment for the repairs to be carried out!!!
        Vic - wicked landlord
        Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
        Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.


          Thanks for the replys.

          While it may be a new build it is not a contractor that has built it (barretts etc) It was built by the landlord (well converted actually but nevermind) and whoever he hired to do each bit.

          I think Paul_f's reply is a bit drastric yet. I love the place and really dont want to annoy the landlord too much (at least until all other avenues have been tried)

          I'd be more than happy to sort the problems myself, but as Wordlife says, i cant really be spending his money.

          I think the next plan is to write to him detailing all the problems and giving him a fair timescale for the work to be carried out. So whats fair? 1 week? 28 days? Any ideas?


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
            by DPT57
            The presence of a plastic consumer unit cover would normally be a c3 hazard, but I understand it could be higher if there are other related risks, such as where there is older wiring or poor bonding. In the end I beleive we will either have to become electrical experts ourselves or find trustworthy...
            03-06-2020, 17:14 PM
          • Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
            by Ozzie11

            I noticed a new law means landlords need to arrange an EICR for new tenancies after July 2020 or before April 2021.

            Please can I get some advice on this? I started a tenancy in May 2020 - this is due to expire in November 2020. However it is likely the tenancy will be renewed...
            01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
          • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
            by jpkeates
            The guidance says that preparing a property for rent or sale is work that is allowed to be done in this phase of the lockdown.
            And staying in another property for work is allowed.

            So travelling somewhere to work and staying there overnight is fine.
            03-06-2020, 17:04 PM
          • Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
            by DJVera
            Hi all - I'm new to this so apologies if this (or similar) has been dealt with somewhere else!
            I own a property in the south west but currently live in London. I've been renting the property out privately. My last tenant moved out in January 2020 and I was planning to get quite a bit of (much needed)
            01-06-2020, 13:38 PM
          • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
            by DPT57
            Yes, I agree about the acting reasonably and interestingly the legislation seems to allow for this too through the use of the word "include"

            For the purposes of paragraph (1), the circumstances in which a person (“P”) has a reasonable excuse include cases where....
            03-06-2020, 17:00 PM
          • Reply to My tenant lied to me
            by Uklondoner
            The rent has to be two months or more in arrears? My case the tenant owe me less than two months can still do the form?...
            03-06-2020, 16:50 PM
          • My tenant lied to me
            by Uklondoner
            My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
            03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
          • Reply to My tenant lied to me
            by theartfullodger
            As a stupid landlord I take grave exception to your slur, Sir!

            Next week, amazing, unexpected, revelations that from time2time landlords lie to tenants.............. and agents from time2time lie to landlords AND tenants... and MPs & a particular special adviser seem to lie to most...
            03-06-2020, 16:22 PM
          • Reply to Access to sheds
            by DPT57
            Possibly, although I was basing my comment on this phrase in the original post:...
            03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
          • Access to sheds
            by endymion
            Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
            03-06-2020, 10:09 AM