Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    Of course, "unnofficial arrangements" are always possible: I have a very long term tenant with whom I have an unwritten understanding that if she has a maintenance problem then the quickest way to get it fixed is to talk to her builder "mates," take their advice and if work is necessary, obtain a quotation or two. Then she discusses it with me both before and after the quotations are obtained. I invariably authorise the repair, she pays for it, sends me the receipted bill and I reply to authorise her to reduce her next rental paymen(s) by an appropriate amount. With this tenant, it works, but most othes are not as pro-active (and why should they be?) They merely report a fault and I get it fixed.

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by KMB5 View Post
    Is it correct for a landlord to request tenant arranges and pays for repairs required to rented property and then will reimburse tenant at later date?

Landlord also owes money to said tenant for cleaning duties not carried out when they moved in.
    No, it is not 'correct'. The landlord should arrange and pay for any repairs for which is he legally responsible.

Further info here
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...n_private_lets

Leave a comment:

• roryl
    replied
    Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
    I would guess that you would have great difficulty getting this money from the landlord. Instead, get him to agree (in writing) that you can deduct the cost from the following rent payment - then the refund is in your control.
    The above would be a better approach, although I'm not sure where you would stand if they disagreed.

My former Landlord requested a another of his tenants pay for repairs/replacements with the promise of a refund. It took the tenant months to get their money back.

Leave a comment:

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Originally posted by KMB5 View Post
    Is it correct for a landlord to request tenant arranges and pays for repairs required to rented property and then will reimburse tenant at later date?

Landlord also owes money to said tenant for cleaning duties not carried out when they moved in.

Many thanks.
    I would guess that you would have great difficulty getting this money from the landlord. Instead, get him to agree (in writing) that you can deduct the cost from the following rent payment - then the refund is in your control.

Leave a comment:

• Landlord advises tenant to pay for repairs required and she will reimburse

Many thanks.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X