Tenant with high skilled visa to work in UK - any problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant with high skilled visa to work in UK - any problems?

Hi,

We've had a tenant apply to us who is an Indian national in the UK working on a "high skilled visa". Has apparently been here for almost 2 years (we're verifying this).

We've been told he is also soon to marry someone who has UK citizenship.

Pls can anyone comment on any pitfalls if we accept him and hiw new wife as tenants? What problems might there be/anything to look out for or anything extra to cover in the tenancy agreement?

Many thanks for any help on this, not encountered this one before...

If she gets pregnant and the man leaves her, good luck ever trying to get rid!

She could easilly go onto benefits, and you won't be able to get a single mother out with a child. Not that most people would want to, but if she was being a nightmare, not paying rent on time for example it could cause a lot of headaches.

Comment

We've done a few of these, with no problems to speak of. Confirmation of his contract length from his employer (as well as the usual referencing) might give you some more peace of mind.

Luckily (at least so far) Indians don't seem to have absorbed the 'impregnate and disappear' mindset of many UK males, so I wouldn't worry about him abandoning his wife etc. I would be more concerned about gathering references and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by visum View Post
        Luckily (at least so far) Indians don't seem to have absorbed the 'impregnate and disappear' mindset of many UK males, so I wouldn't worry about him abandoning his wife etc. I would be more concerned about gathering references and so on.
        He has been in the UK for 2 years now, so he might be a complaining, ingnorant, sex pest, alcoholic, impregnating and leaving UK male.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry_Baker View Post

She could easilly go onto benefits, and you won't be able to get a single mother out with a child.
          Utter nonsense. The s.21 route results in a mandatory possession order. The tenant may be able to delay the eviction by claiming hardship, but only by a maximum of 42 days.

Comment

he might be a complaining, ingnorant, sex pest, alcoholic, impregnating and leaving UK male
            I'm sure I see men with at least 5 out of those 6 qualities on Jeremy Kyle every day, and the only reason they dont fit the last one is that they are too ignorant, too busy having sex, too busy getting drunk, too busy getting women up the duff and too busy moaning to fill in the passport form!

Comment

Originally posted by Emma1973 View Post
              I'm sure I see men with at least 5 out of those 6 qualities on Jeremy Kyle every day, and the only reason they dont fit the last one is that they are too ignorant, too busy having sex, too busy getting drunk, too busy getting women up the duff and too busy moaning to fill in the passport form!
              haha that was pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by visum View Post
                We've done a few of these, with no problems to speak of. Confirmation of his contract length from his employer (as well as the usual referencing) might give you some more peace of mind.

Thanks Visum - I couldn't agree more - my experience of Indians is they don't tend to split up at the drop of a hat and abandon families - if only more were this way inclined!

So far things are checking out fine, it was just the whole visa area is something I wasn't familiar with so I'm grateful for the replies.

Comment

Sorry, just one more quick question - once they marry if the wife changes her name (which I'm not even sure they do in the Indian culture?!), but if she does and I've already issued the contract in her maiden name, what if anything extra do I need to put together on the paperwork side? Do I need a new agreement in her name or just an exchange of letters between us confirming her old name and her new name, plus presumably sight of a marriage cert?

Thanks again if anyone can throw any light on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma1973 View Post
                    LOL - needed a giggle, thank you! Spot on, methinks...

Comment

Originally posted by investor68 View Post
                      Sorry, just one more quick question - once they marry if the wife changes her name (which I'm not even sure they do in the Indian culture?!), but if she does and I've already issued the contract in her maiden name, what if anything extra do I need to put together on the paperwork side? Do I need a new agreement in her name or just an exchange of letters between us confirming her old name and her new name, plus presumably sight of a marriage cert?

Thanks again if anyone can throw any light on this.
                      A certified copy marriage certificate is sufficient.
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Terry_Baker View Post

She could easilly go onto benefits, and you won't be able to get a single mother out with a child.
                        Does that mean you never let property where there's a female of child-bearing age involved?

Comment

The primary additional risk that you run with any foreign national is that there is a greater capability to up stakes and dissapear out of the country with rent arrears making it effectively impossible to chase them up.

However if he has a regular job and is marrying a UK citizen the risk is not much different to anyone else - a full UK resident can easily up stakes and disspapear to a different address and make it difficult or not cost effective to chase them for any arrears.

So overall run the normal checks as suggested - try to establish how firm the current job is and if you remain concerned insist on a UK property owner as a gurantor.

Comment

Hi

Many thanks Jeffrey and Fletchj for your helpful replies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X