Toilet Flush Handle - Should I pay for this to be fix / replaced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently replaced one at my Sister-in-law’s house.

The plastic sheath that passes through the ceramic cistern had sheared, probably because it had originally been over tightened.

I have seen others fail where the plumber had bent the link bar rather than properly adjust the mechanism. Link bars are of varying quality and a cheap extruded bar can be full of potential fracture points.

The puller arms usually have a small screw which rusts away over time leaving the arm to move sideways along the square section link bar, this can cause the puller to move to a position where the forces on the link bar and the wire link are high and this will normally lead to the plastic puller arm breaking, but I suppose a fatigued link bar could also shear.

So they do break, and that’s one of the reasons DIY shops sell the things. Typically the only warning a user might get that it will soon fail is that it is difficult to turn, and I imagine the title of that thread might be, ‘My tenant is complaining that the toilet flush is stiff, should I pay for it to be fixed / replaced?’.
    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
      I imagine the title of that thread might be, ‘My tenant is complaining that the toilet flush is stiff, should I pay for it to be fixed / replaced?’.
      ...in which case the T needs some serious encouragement to get out more!
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Which is the sort of reaction I would expect, until the problem turns into a broken flush handle as per this thread.

My point is that the things do break, it’s not necessarily the tenants fault, and if the tenant did try to fix it before it breaks causing a leak or overflow then the tenant would be the one blamed for the water damage.

Comment

A full house beats a toilet flush, if I recall.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            A full house beats a toilet flush, if I recall.
            Oh dear, here we go....

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
              Oh dear, here we go....
              Made me smile

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X