heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heating

hi i private rent and i have now been without heating for almost 5 weeks. my house is usually cold (even with heating on) and is freezing at mo. 5 weeks ago the heating broke so la sent a engineer who said boiler needed new part.... ll then took till week 4 to decide where he was getting the part and who was fitting it. last week i got a call about 4pm saying ll and engineer were on there way to fix heating and it would be a 10 min job. i was very ill at the time and told them it wouldn't be possible and asked them to come another day with a little more notice (i have crohns disease and need to visit bathroom quite a lot). the ll and engineer finally rebooked to come yesterday they were here 1 1/2 hours and never managed to fix boiler (needless to say wasn't a 10 min job). as i approach 5 weeks on sunday and no date for it to be fixed i would please like some advice. the la have given me 1 electric heater to heat a 3 storey house, i also have 2 children 1 sleeps top floor 1 on middle floor. do i have any rights???

I'm sorry to hear you are having such problems. It is unreasonable of the LL to expect you to be without heating for such a long time especially as you have children and the weather is now getting colder.

Ask him in writing/text/email (save a copy) to supply convector heaters for the living room and each bedroom as a matter or urgency and that if he is unable to do so within 48 hours, you will purchase some yourself and deduct the cost from the rent.

Then do it. Lots of places sell them - the one for £19.99 one on this page (Argos) is very good (We have some of them in a student property for emergencies and although they have been moved around, stored, accidentally bashed, etc., they have proved very tough). If you cannot get to the shops yourself, to collect them, they deliver:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?as_...uct_result_gro

If the boiler is broken, do you not have any hot water either?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

yeah i do have hot water, its a combi boiler and just needs a new circuit board.... which the la or my engineer could have fixed weeks ago... thanks for your reply will get onto them about more heaters..... bit worried about my electric bill though lol being a single mum and all.... 5 weeks of electric heaters so far has gotta cost a bit more.... thanks for your info...

Comment

You also have the option of reporting the lack of heating to the Environmental Health Officer at the local council, or of organizing the repairs yourself and deducting the cost from the rent. Warning: with the latter you must follow a procedure of letter-writing and getting quotes etc, before you can do this, or the unpaid rent will be treated as arrears.

Also, be aware that the LL may decide to serve a s.21 notice on you if he's the sort who'd rather get rid of a tenant than fulfill his statutory repairing obligations.

See this link for the procedure for organizing the repairs yourself. Again, I emphasize it must be strictly followed, and you should obtain proof of posting for all letters, and keep copy letters.

Comment

It would be reasonable to deduct the cost of the additional electricity (needed to run the convector heaters) as well as the cost of buying them, from your rent as advised above. You can work out how much they cost to run compared with your normal gas usage for the same period and deduct the difference from your next rent payment, unless LL offers to reimburse you for the heaters and the extra cost of running them.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

being a bit not knowing, how do i work out the costs of heating and electric heaters?? thanks for the advice...

Comment

The easiest option is to ring the electricity supplier and ask them to tell you how much it will cost to run a 2kw electric heater for an hour. Then multiply that by the number of heaters you have and the number of hours on average that you need to have them on each day in order to keep the house warm.

That will tell you the daily cost. Multiply that by the number of days you need to use them until the central heating is fixed.

That is the total cost. Ask your gas supplier how much it should cost to run your central heating for the same number of days (if you have no idea already)

The deduct the electric from the gas.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X