Tenant applying from Sweden but no UK history - how best to handle?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant applying from Sweden but no UK history - how best to handle?

    Details:

    - studied at UK university for 1 or 2 yrs. stayed at Uni Accommodation - so was landlord?

    - no UK address
    - not working, looking for work
    - no NI number, but applying for one
    - no UK bank account, ut applying for one
    - no proof of UK address
    - (most likely) no credit history.

    - she has paid £350 to secure the room
    - father is potentially willing to stump up 6 months rent up front for her



    Questions:

    1. Is it still worth doing a ref/credit check via Homelet in view of the above? perhaps her name may have entered the credit system via payments of rent for Uni accommodation?

    2. Given I get her to sign the TA, and her father pays 6 months rent + deposit up front, what else should I look out for?

    3. I don't want to bother with having to get a deed done for a Guarantor, her father is in Sweden so maybe hard to enforce anyway? -- I have asked that the father write a letter to support/pay the rent should she be able to pay after the 1st 6 months

    Anything else I need to do, tips, suggestions?

    #2
    I have emailed the Student Housing Bureau at the University for a reference.

    You think I should proceed if all feedback is good?

    Comment


      #3
      Yes. If you are getting 6 months rent up front and the father is willing to be a gurantor than why not? Could be hard chasing him up though. Do the AST for 6 months?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Terry_Baker View Post
        Do the AST for 6 months?
        That's not a bad idea, thanks!

        SO if she hasn't found a job by the end of month number six, I have the option of not renewing her tenancy?

        Worse case if she doesn't leave, I can serve immediately on 1st day past month 6, or can I serve 2 months before end of month 6 ie. 4th month as a contingency to get her out at end of month 6?

        Basically save myself the extra 6 months (in the case of issuing a 12 month TA) if she can't cough up - have I got that right?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by sparkie View Post
          Details:

          - studied at UK university for 1 or 2 yrs. stayed at Uni Accommodation - so was landlord?

          - no UK address
          - not working, looking for work
          - no NI number, but applying for one
          - no UK bank account, ut applying for one
          - no proof of UK address
          - (most likely) no credit history.

          - she has paid £350 to secure the room
          - father is potentially willing to stump up 6 months rent up front for her



          Questions:

          1. Is it still worth doing a ref/credit check via Homelet in view of the above? perhaps her name may have entered the credit system via payments of rent for Uni accommodation?

          2. Given I get her to sign the TA, and her father pays 6 months rent + deposit up front, what else should I look out for?

          3. I don't want to bother with having to get a deed done for a Guarantor, her father is in Sweden so maybe hard to enforce anyway? -- I have asked that the father write a letter to support/pay the rent should she be able to pay after the 1st 6 months

          Anything else I need to do, tips, suggestions?
          I would not touch this without a deposit and 6 months' rent upfront, and even then, serve a S21 to end it on the final day just in case. I think you've pointed out the potential pitfalls yourself. I believe Homelet can reference internationally??? It's been a while since I've used them.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by visum View Post
            I would not touch this without a deposit and 6 months' rent upfront, and even then, serve a S21 to end it on the final day just in case.
            A s.21 is not a notice to quit, nor does it end the tenancy. What you mean is, serve a s.21 notice to expire after the end of the fixed term, in order to entitle LL to apply to the court for possession the day after the notice expires.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by westminster View Post
              A s.21 is not a notice to quit, nor does it end the tenancy. What you mean is, serve a s.21 notice to expire after the end of the fixed term, in order to entitle LL to apply to the court for possession the day after the notice expires.
              Yes, my poor English. My brain knew what I wanted to say - my apologies!

              Comment

              Latest Activity

              Collapse

              Working...
              X