Whose responsibility to give workmen access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrungy
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    The problem arises when the workmen are unwilling to be given keys and/or attend when there is no-one in at the property. Gas engineers, for example the ones who service Worcester boilers for Bosch, can be like that.
    I can confirm that this is in fact Worcester-Bosch's policy, which is very annoying and they won't even collect keys from a neighbour (nor would BG in the past).
    This is the reason I dropped Worcester Bosch's boiler plan (which is well worth the money BTW but which is really intended for home owners).

Worcester-Bosch are also quite per finicky about standards, which drives independent gas engineers up the wall (so the ones who I've met tell me) and being piggy in the middle, I get grief from both sides.

I now use a local gas engineer/plumber and other trades-guy, who has the keys.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    The problem arises when the workmen are unwilling to be given keys and/or attend when there is no-one in at the property. Gas engineers, for example the ones who service Worcester boilers for Bosch, can be like that. Our TA makes the tenants responsible for allowing access to tradesmen for certain jobs, e.g. the annual boiler service and CP12 and one of our tenants had to come back at their insistence from his lectures especially to let them in and remain there whilst the work was done. Fortunately our tenant was willing and able to do that; not all tenants would be.

Leave a comment:

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    It would depend on who owns the item that needs reapir.

If the issue is for works to the structure of the property or an item that you have supplied for the tenant's use, it is down to the landlord to facilitate access for repairs (except as provided for to the contrary in the tenancy agreement).

I don't know why anyone would think otherwise since it isn't the tenant's responsibility to maintain the property.

If the tenant can be at home during normal working hours, that's all fine and dandy, but it can't be expected of them.
    In addition, even if the tenant can be at home, you cannot expect the tenant to remain at home for the entirety of the works in order to facilitate the coming and going of the workmen who won't have keys and need to go in and out of the home for various reasons (lunch, access to their van, going to DIY stores to get additional parts/materials, etc.)

The answer is to have someone local (such as a trusted neighbour) where keys can be held.
    I have keys held with local letting agents who don't charge me to hold my keys, but for which I would be happy to pay.

If you don't know someone local or none of the local agents will help, you have to arrange to be at the property, or send the workmen a set of keys beforehand.

Leave a comment:

• cheekydollar
    started a topic Whose responsibility to give workmen access?

Whose responsibility to give workmen access?

Hi,

It would be interesting to know if there are any guidelines (as i am aware there is no law regarding this) as to whose responsibility it is to let workmen into the property to make a repair - i.e. on a washing machine.

I would like to know this because of the following scenario: The workmen can only visit between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday however the tenants are at work during these times.

At the end of the day - whose responsibility is it to let them in and oversee the repair?

Also - would this differ to i.e. repair of the bricks and mortar. Could you expect a tenant to take time off work to allow workmen in for this kind of repair?

Thank you!

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
    by DoricPixie
    I'm guessing your landlord has used ground 8 for the Section 8 so your goal is to get the arrears under 2 months (assuming your rent is due monthly) by counter-claiming. Ben Reeves over at the Landlord Law Blog seems to think it is possible to counter-claim for damages to bring the arrears below the...
    19-05-2022, 09:19 AM
  • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
    by Forgetmeknot
    I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
    so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
    18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
  • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by Lawcruncher
    In a case where the deposit protection rules do not apply how a deposit is dealt with depends on the terms on which it is held. What does the tenancy agreement or other relevant document say?
    19-05-2022, 09:14 AM
  • Is my estate agent misleading me?
    by abimsalabim
    I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
    18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
  • Reply to Single parent renting
    by Another Fine Mess
    I will never again rent to a family as my property is unsuitable.
    My first two tenants did not have any issue with damp.
    Then I rented it to a family where at the start of the tenancy the lady had a baby.
    Then a about 2 months later they started complaining to the Letting Agent about...
    19-05-2022, 09:14 AM
  • Single parent renting
    by Dct
    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
    by jpkeates
    You might find a sympathetic judge.

But you have to consider what you're trying to argue.
    If you'd been in a car crash and were in hospital and unable to work, that wouldn't be a defence to not paying rent owed.
    You're trying to argue that it was the landlord driving the car...
    19-05-2022, 09:01 AM
    by Forgetmeknot
    Thankyou for your replies.

Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
    One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
    19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
    by doobrey
    Certainly.

In my view, both sides must be free to choose. If you take away the right of businesses (which LLs are, whether they consider themselves to be or not) to assess risk and respond accordingly they will not be in business for very long. And if the LLs disappear then...
    19-05-2022, 08:18 AM
    by Dct
    The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
    19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
Working...
X