Whose responsibility to give workmen access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whose responsibility to give workmen access?

Hi,

It would be interesting to know if there are any guidelines (as i am aware there is no law regarding this) as to whose responsibility it is to let workmen into the property to make a repair - i.e. on a washing machine.

I would like to know this because of the following scenario: The workmen can only visit between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday however the tenants are at work during these times.

At the end of the day - whose responsibility is it to let them in and oversee the repair?

Also - would this differ to i.e. repair of the bricks and mortar. Could you expect a tenant to take time off work to allow workmen in for this kind of repair?

Thank you!

It would depend on who owns the item that needs reapir.

If the issue is for works to the structure of the property or an item that you have supplied for the tenant's use, it is down to the landlord to facilitate access for repairs (except as provided for to the contrary in the tenancy agreement).

I don't know why anyone would think otherwise since it isn't the tenant's responsibility to maintain the property.

If the tenant can be at home during normal working hours, that's all fine and dandy, but it can't be expected of them.
    In addition, even if the tenant can be at home, you cannot expect the tenant to remain at home for the entirety of the works in order to facilitate the coming and going of the workmen who won't have keys and need to go in and out of the home for various reasons (lunch, access to their van, going to DIY stores to get additional parts/materials, etc.)

The answer is to have someone local (such as a trusted neighbour) where keys can be held.
    I have keys held with local letting agents who don't charge me to hold my keys, but for which I would be happy to pay.

If you don't know someone local or none of the local agents will help, you have to arrange to be at the property, or send the workmen a set of keys beforehand.

Comment

The problem arises when the workmen are unwilling to be given keys and/or attend when there is no-one in at the property. Gas engineers, for example the ones who service Worcester boilers for Bosch, can be like that. Our TA makes the tenants responsible for allowing access to tradesmen for certain jobs, e.g. the annual boiler service and CP12 and one of our tenants had to come back at their insistence from his lectures especially to let them in and remain there whilst the work was done. Fortunately our tenant was willing and able to do that; not all tenants would be.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        The problem arises when the workmen are unwilling to be given keys and/or attend when there is no-one in at the property. Gas engineers, for example the ones who service Worcester boilers for Bosch, can be like that.
        I can confirm that this is in fact Worcester-Bosch's policy, which is very annoying and they won't even collect keys from a neighbour (nor would BG in the past).
        This is the reason I dropped Worcester Bosch's boiler plan (which is well worth the money BTW but which is really intended for home owners).

Worcester-Bosch are also quite per finicky about standards, which drives independent gas engineers up the wall (so the ones who I've met tell me) and being piggy in the middle, I get grief from both sides.

I now use a local gas engineer/plumber and other trades-guy, who has the keys.
        Natural selection is a wonderful thing
        You shall know them by their fruit
        Saying "Never say never", says it

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X