Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintenance issue

Hi

At the back of my rental property, there is a verandah/lean-to style conservatory, which my tenant uses to house the washing machine, fridge etc. The electrical sockets were installed when i bought the house, and have been checked for safety etc. The roof leaks in heavy rain, which causes the tenant to complain (understandably). To be honest, i want to pull the whole verandah down, and either live without it, or completely replace it, but whilst the tenant is there its difficult to do, as it is part of the useable space. I am reluctant to spend £800+ on roof repairs when i plan to get rid of it.

Where do i stand? There are safety issues with the electrics.

Thanks

If you pulled it down, where would the washing machine and fridge go?

Can they not go there now?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hi Mind the Gap

I guess i should have said, that i want to pull it down, when the tenant vacates (which isn't for 9 months though). The kitchen needs to be revamped, so the long term plan is to have the washing machine and fridge integrated into the kitchen, so the verandah can go. I don't really want to have the verandah repaired or replaced, when i don't really want it there.

Its what to do between now and the end of the tenancy. (Sorry, should have made that clearer)

Comment

Originally posted by Larri View Post
        Hi Mind the Gap

I guess i should have said, that i want to pull it down, when the tenant vacates (which isn't for 9 months though). The kitchen needs to be revamped, so the long term plan is to have the washing machine and fridge integrated into the kitchen, so the verandah can go. I don't really want to have the verandah repaired or replaced, when i don't really want it there.

Its what to do between now and the end of the tenancy. (Sorry, should have made that clearer)
        Well, you have a number of options, none of them ideal, but some better than the rest.

1. Have the work done asap and pay for your T to live somewhere else while it is being done.
        2. Instal the electrical items inside the house, even though they cannot be properly integrated - at least they would be safe. Maybe move some non-electrical furniture from the house to the verandah to make room for them, if need be. The washing machine will obv. need to be plumbed in - you may need to remove a cupboard next to the sink unit. Provide extra storage in the verandah area to compensate?
        3. Leave the electrical items where they are and risk T getting an electric shock or reporting you to the EHO. Not good.
        4. Ask a builder to quote you for making the verandah waterproof as cheaply as possible as an interim measure.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X