Tenant asking to move in early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant asking to move in early

We have a T for our flat who we have given a tenancy start date of 1 October. I have already sent him a draft copy of the TA for his info, and suggested we meet at the property that day, for me to sign TA with him, do a check-in inventory, take meter reading etc, and felt 1st of month was a good start date for rent etc. Whilst I was out this evening he rang and spoke to hubby, asking whether we would consider letting him have access to the property a few days early as there was no way he could move all his stuff in 1 day. Hubby has a few last minute jobs to do to the flat and has a day off on Wednesday 29 October to do this. To my annoyance, he has now agreed to meet T at the flat on the morning of Wednesday 29 to allow T to move in some of his stuff whilst he is there working.

I am really annoyed hubby has allowed this and feel the T should be sticking to our original arrangement and if it takes him a few days to move all his stuff in then thats his problem not ours!

So if T starts moving his belongings in on 29th, I assume we should start the tenancy for that date, and obviously request the first month's rent and deposit then. I guess we could still then set 1st of the month for subsequent rent (calendar month payments), or should we stick to 29th. Would this cause any problem if he comes to give notice - ie TA month being 29th - 28th, and rent payment being 1st?

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
    I am really annoyed hubby has allowed this and feel the T should be sticking to our original arrangement and if it takes him a few days to move all his stuff in then thats his problem not ours!
    But providing he's prepared to pay for the extra days then surely that's a win-win situation?

So if T starts moving his belongings in on 29th, I assume we should start the tenancy for that date, and obviously request the first month's rent and deposit then. I guess we could still then set 1st of the month for subsequent rent (calendar month payments), or should we stick to 29th. Would this cause any problem if he comes to give notice - ie TA month being 29th - 28th, and rent payment being 1st?
    No reason why not to stick with 29th being the rent day, and that's certainly the easiest solution - there's no possible ambiguity or potential issues about dates later when it comes to giving notice.

That said, I've sometimes done it in the past myself in this situation, usually to ensure the rent date is just after, rather than just before, the tenant's payday, since I reckoned it enhanced my chances of being paid! In such cases, it has been stated clearly in the agreement that:

"You will have the property and the furniture for 6 months, plus the part-month 29-30 September, ie from 11:00 am on 29 September 2010 to 11:00 am on 31 March 2011" and "Rent is due on the 1st of the month"

Then on move in-day, they pay two days' rent pro rata, plus 1 month's rent from 1 October, plus the deposit.

I think the above wording makes the period of the tenancy pretty clear, and nobody could reasonably interpret the 29th as being the date on which notices are due.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X