Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant checks on criminal records

Hi,

Do landlords check for criminal records and convictions from tenants.
    What sort of questions do you ask?
    Are you entitled to ask such questions?

How can you check up these persons, in case they are lying?

Has any LL evicted a tenant because of false claims of convictions on a tenancy application?

Sorry to ask but are you actually doing anything dodgy to ask all these questions ?

Because if you're not then you can sue for libel anyone who says you do.

And when it comes to convictions I would have guessed it would be an official paper from the police or government so you can't really accuse them of lying.

Comment

Wondering what rights a LL has in asking AND gaining answers.

What the experiences are of both LL and Tenants in having to disclose such things when making a tenancy agreement.

Furthermore, what obligations does a tenant have to disclose charges to his/her LL during a tenancy agreement.
      Is it feasible to add such issues into an agreement?

Comment

Tenant Checks

Unlike in the USA where criminal record checks can be done instantly on-line as a matter of routine, in the UK the situation is much more difficult.
        As far as I am aware criminal records are not accessible to private individuals or companies: they are only accessible to prescribed organisations and occupations such as education, airlines etc.
        Also, the process is very slow - can take weeks - and from what we read in the press the accuracy of police data-bases on this have been highly suspect in the past - perhaps this is changing?
        As far as I am aware, and this is my interpretation of the Data Protection Act rules, you are perfectly at liberty to ask questions of tenants regarding criminal convictions.
        Landlords and agents need to be increasingly vigilant on these matters and need to devise and follow rigourous systems to screen out fraudsters - see these articles:
        The LandlordZONE Tenancy Application Form is one example:
        http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/pdf/application.pdf
        See also the Article: Identity Theft and Identity Fraud -
        http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/blog/ (24/4/05)
        And also the section on Tenant Screening at:
        http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/tenant_screening.htm

Comment

Cheers.
          Is this a standard form of tenancy application?

Furthermore, can you tell me whether 'spent' convictions have to be disclosed, and whether LL have a right to ask such questions - either on the form or by other means.

Comment

I am in the process of applying for an Australian Visa and one of the 'hoops' that I've had to jump through was to provide a certificate from the police that I have no record (Apparently its no longer compulsary in order to get into Aus').

It was a straight forward procedure and cost me about £25. You could ask a prospective tenant to aquire such a certificate from the police if you were worried.

Comment

How about charges and police cautions.

Do these have to be discosed to a LL DURING or BEFORE a tenancy agreement.
              How about electronic tagging or being placed on an offenders register.

Comment

Landlord Checks

An interesting debate. I 've just got rid of our "tenant from hell", caught him stealing our washing machine, t. drier and fridge from the property he "rented" from me. He had not paid rent for the previous three months and following the section 8, was on his way to court.
                The arresting police knew him, turns out that he was a heroin addict. I then discovered that he had served part of a three year sentence for robbery, and was out under licience. Of course, it then follows that no bills were being paid, he was out of work, numerous documents strewen around the house recorded his convictions for driving without a driving licience no tax, no MOT etc.etc etc..
                He was found by the letting agency, checked, and recommended by them to him ..... just four months previously.
                They deny any responsibility!
                What do you think?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                  by jpkeates
                  That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                  The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                  28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
                • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                  by Piffy
                  I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                  27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                • Reply to Renting rooms
                  by DoricPixie
                  You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
                  28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
                • Renting rooms
                  by Luke
                  I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                  I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                  I do not intend to live at the property
                  Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                  As its...
                  28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
                  by DoricPixie
                  I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
                  28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
                • Reply to Renting rooms
                  by AndrewDod
                  No reason the above should be the case in any sort of sane world - but courtesy of our ignorant and evil masters it is the case.

Anyone with an ounce of compassion could go through this forum and find thousands of types of examples where the legislation designed to (they pretend) help people,...
                  28-01-2022, 15:43 PM
                • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                  by Hooper
                  Obviously it depends on your properties but if they and your tenants are not particularly high maintenance there is no reason that you should have to reduce your employment hours to fit in managing 4 properties. I manage 9/10. I often allow it to take up more time than it needs to - it's true that if...
                  28-01-2022, 14:44 PM
                • Inherited a few rentals
                  by Landlord7289
                  Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                  25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  The government's model agreement doesn't contain such a provision.

"...the Tenant must return the Property and any items listed on the inventory to the Landlord in the same condition and state of cleanliness as they were at the start of the Tenancy."

I suspect that...
                  28-01-2022, 14:43 PM
                • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                  by AndrewDod
                  I think by "vacant possession" here they are not that concerned about the individual army-men but that the MoD itself has a 200 year lease. If MoD were to release those bottom-feeders who sucked out the money taxpayers have contributed then the bottom feeders would be x billion richer...
                  28-01-2022, 13:10 PM
                Working...
                X