Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant checks on criminal records

Hi,

Do landlords check for criminal records and convictions from tenants.
    What sort of questions do you ask?
    Are you entitled to ask such questions?

How can you check up these persons, in case they are lying?

Has any LL evicted a tenant because of false claims of convictions on a tenancy application?

Sorry to ask but are you actually doing anything dodgy to ask all these questions ?

Because if you're not then you can sue for libel anyone who says you do.

And when it comes to convictions I would have guessed it would be an official paper from the police or government so you can't really accuse them of lying.

Comment

Wondering what rights a LL has in asking AND gaining answers.

What the experiences are of both LL and Tenants in having to disclose such things when making a tenancy agreement.

Furthermore, what obligations does a tenant have to disclose charges to his/her LL during a tenancy agreement.
      Is it feasible to add such issues into an agreement?

Comment

Tenant Checks

Unlike in the USA where criminal record checks can be done instantly on-line as a matter of routine, in the UK the situation is much more difficult.
        As far as I am aware criminal records are not accessible to private individuals or companies: they are only accessible to prescribed organisations and occupations such as education, airlines etc.
        Also, the process is very slow - can take weeks - and from what we read in the press the accuracy of police data-bases on this have been highly suspect in the past - perhaps this is changing?
        As far as I am aware, and this is my interpretation of the Data Protection Act rules, you are perfectly at liberty to ask questions of tenants regarding criminal convictions.
        Landlords and agents need to be increasingly vigilant on these matters and need to devise and follow rigourous systems to screen out fraudsters - see these articles:
        The LandlordZONE Tenancy Application Form is one example:
        http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/pdf/application.pdf
        See also the Article: Identity Theft and Identity Fraud -
        http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/blog/ (24/4/05)
        And also the section on Tenant Screening at:
        http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/tenant_screening.htm

Comment

Cheers.
          Is this a standard form of tenancy application?

Furthermore, can you tell me whether 'spent' convictions have to be disclosed, and whether LL have a right to ask such questions - either on the form or by other means.

Comment

I am in the process of applying for an Australian Visa and one of the 'hoops' that I've had to jump through was to provide a certificate from the police that I have no record (Apparently its no longer compulsary in order to get into Aus').

It was a straight forward procedure and cost me about £25. You could ask a prospective tenant to aquire such a certificate from the police if you were worried.

Comment

How about charges and police cautions.

Do these have to be discosed to a LL DURING or BEFORE a tenancy agreement.
              How about electronic tagging or being placed on an offenders register.

Comment

Landlord Checks

An interesting debate. I 've just got rid of our "tenant from hell", caught him stealing our washing machine, t. drier and fridge from the property he "rented" from me. He had not paid rent for the previous three months and following the section 8, was on his way to court.
                The arresting police knew him, turns out that he was a heroin addict. I then discovered that he had served part of a three year sentence for robbery, and was out under licience. Of course, it then follows that no bills were being paid, he was out of work, numerous documents strewen around the house recorded his convictions for driving without a driving licience no tax, no MOT etc.etc etc..
                He was found by the letting agency, checked, and recommended by them to him ..... just four months previously.
                They deny any responsibility!
                What do you think?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                  by OS7
                  Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
                  30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
                • MCOL & PCOL
                  by OS7
                  Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                  04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                  by meyou5ick
                  I actually signed the terms in the beginning of the contract, and I have not witnessed this before but these guys had another page where they mentioned this. Now my issue is that given how abysmal their service was and me paying from my own pocket, I should have disbanded the contract then. The issue...
                  30-11-2021, 04:32 AM
                • Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                  by meyou5ick
                  Dear all,

I was letting my place to tenants that were sourced by this estate agent. The estate agent however misrepresented myself and misled the tenants about what's included in the monthly rental cost. The tenant had complained to the agent however, I had to pay for 6 months of services...
                  29-11-2021, 16:04 PM
                • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                  by AndrewDod
                  Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
                  29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
                • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                  by Bert1e
                  Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                  28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                  by Hudson01
                  Did you use them on a tenant find service only ? If so then read the contract you signed and see what it says about what you are about to do, i use the tenant find service but then let the leases go into periodic, i pay the agent nothing and never have done, maybe if i signed another 12 AST a fee may...
                  29-11-2021, 19:44 PM
                • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                  by jpkeates
                  There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
                  That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
                  29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
                • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                  by Mr. Sparkle
                  About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
                  29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
                • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                  by theartfullodger
                  No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.

But...

s8 not an issue

s21 see
                  https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

- there's...
                  29-11-2021, 17:50 PM
                Working...
                X