How to resolve a dispute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moriarty View Post
    They claim the door 'stuck' one evening and they had to get someone out and change the lock aftre gaining entrance.
    Presumably you have a cylinder lock whereby you can just slam the door shut and it locks (ie without use of keys?). Something I learned very early on in my landlording career (having been phoned by a drunk tenant at about 3 am) is that you only fit rentals with deadlocks; ie impossible to lock themsleves out (unless the lose the key of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      You seem to know an awful lot about this sort of sharp practice, Eric!
      You might well think that; I couldn't possibly comment...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        only fit rentals with deadlocks; ie impossible to lock themsleves out (unless they lose the key of course!
        Which they invariably do. And the spare is equally invariably kept inside the property rather than at a neighbour's.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Which they invariably do.
          Sure - at least I haven't experienced that yet (but then again, as I like a quiet life I don't let to students!)

I drove my (student) daughter plus belongings back to Uni this week. Had to time our arrival for a specific time, when a housemates would definitely be in.

Why?

Because my daughter had lost her key.

Comment

I would guess that's what happened is that some cowboy* erected a Sky satellite dish and rather than running a fresh cable from the dish to the TV point, he's chopped off the existing one he found running up the side of the house to the aerial, and pirated that; after which he would have fitted a Sky-type plug to the old aerial cable. Then when the tenants quit, they unbolted their dish leaving the cable dangling. If that's the case, the rewire job would certainly be necessary!

*Cowboy because (a) he shouldn't have disabled the roof aerial because Sky users will want the use of that anyway as a reserve, in case the satellite goes down and (b) there's a pretty good chance that the old 'standard' aerial wouldn't have been appropriate quality anyway for satellite TV!
            That's basically what the electrician bloke said to me, except I was unable to put it into words

Comment

Presumably you have a cylinder lock whereby you can just slam the door shut and it locks (ie without use of keys?). Something I learned very early on in my landlording career (having been phoned by a drunk tenant at about 3 am) is that you only fit rentals with deadlocks; ie impossible to lock themsleves out (unless the lose the key of course!
              Yes, the problem with that though would be that if they were to naff off out without locking up, there's a lot of my stuff in the flat, white goods/TV etc which could get nicked!
              The agent has a spare key. Which in this case wouldn't have worked in an emergency since they had changed the locks

Comment

Sure - at least I haven't experienced that yet (but then again, as I like a quiet life I don't let to students!)

I drove my (student) daughter plus belongings back to Uni this week. Had to time our arrival for a specific time, when a housemates would definitely be in.

Why?

Because my daughter had lost her key.
                Well at least she didn't try to climb up the drainpipe (in full view of a main road and half the population of Newcastle) to access her first floor bedroom window, as our least favourite student tenant used to on a regular basis (until we sent Trevor round to have a word, that is). Said tenant lost his key within a week of the start of the first term and never got round to getting another one cut - just hoped one of the others would be in, and failing that, broke in. A real pillock of the community!
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Pillock of the Community

Comment

Originally posted by Moriarty View Post
                    What I am asking is, given the apparent ineptness of the agent at sorting this, what is my next port of call? Lawyer? Go direct to the Deposit scheme and start my own dispute?
                    And I answered this question in post #7.

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                    Contact the deposit scheme in question and ask how to raise a dispute; do it now because there are time limits.

See also this link for an idea of how adjudicators decide disputes and the sort of evidence they look for:
                    http://www.propertyhawk.co.uk/index....agazine&id=411

If the T refuses to use the deposit scheme adjudication service, then you're a bit stuck unless you hire a solicitor to act for you, as a layperson can't represent you in court.
                    It is obviously cheaper (i.e. free) and easier to use the scheme's ADR service than to pay a lawyer. If you were UK resident then the county court would be a viable option, as you could conduct the claim yourself (most people do); it's not cost effective to use a lawyer as legal costs are [almost] never awarded in the small claims track - so you might win £1,200 but have a legal bill for £2,000.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
                      by DoricPixie
                      It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
                      28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
                    • Renting rooms
                      by Luke
                      I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                      I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                      I do not intend to live at the property
                      Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                      As its...
                      28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
                    • Reply to Renting rooms
                      by DoricPixie
                      I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
                      28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
                    • Reply to Renting rooms
                      by theartfullodger
                      Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
                      28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
                    • Reply to Renting rooms
                      by Hudson01
                      If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
                      28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
                    • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                      by jpkeates
                      That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                      The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                      28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
                    • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                      by Piffy
                      I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                      27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                    • Reply to Renting rooms
                      by DoricPixie
                      You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
                      28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
                    • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                      by DoricPixie
                      I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
                      28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
                    Working...
                    X