Who's responsible for Tenants Deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's responsible for Tenants Deposit

I'm looking for advice on my current issue.

Background..

Tenant signs a AST with Letting Agent.
    Letting Agent fully manages he property and in Terms and Conditions states that they collect and handle the deposit - which is meant to out in one of the deposit protection schemes.
    Some months go buy and all is fine until I fail to get paid for a months rent, which I eventually receive, this then happens again.. So I start to question the letting agent..

I then instruct the letting agent that i wish to leave and also ask where the tenants deposit is held.. I hear nothing, until I get a call to say that they (the letting agent) have gone into liquidation...

I believe that my tenants deposit was not proctected correctly and has also been lost as well. But who is responsible for paying the deposit back to the tenant, or do they just join the long line of creditors like myself for unpaid rent.

The way i see it, the tenant should make a claim against me and then i claim against the letting agent, but how does this actually work if the letting agent has gone into liquidation.

Am I going to end up having to pay out the tenant his deposit ?

What about if the tenant has no proof that he paid a deposit ?

All Advice Welcome

Thanks,
    Shaun.

Originally posted by MrWells View Post

Am I going to end up having to pay out the tenant his deposit ?

If the tenant has paid a deposit, and he can prove it, then you are responsible for its return.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

as far as im aware you are responsible for the return of the deposit as the landlord but as long as you have proof the lettings agents managed the deposit then you should be able to start action against them for the amount.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWells View Post
        The way i see it, the tenant should make a claim against me and then i claim against the letting agent, but how does this actually work if the letting agent has gone into liquidation.
        You would have no-one to claim against if the agent company no longer exists.

If the agent had been a member of a professional body such as ARLA, client monies would have been insured; but assuming the agent wasn't a member, and didn't protect the deposit, then you are liable for returning the deposit to the tenant. If the tenancy is current, then you are also liable for protecting the deposit.

If the agent protected the deposit with one of the insurance-based schemes, TDS or MyDeposits, then the agent going into liquidation would cancel the protection, so you would remain liable. Even if the scheme paid out to the tenant (there are, I believe, limited circumstances in which this might happen) the scheme would then pursue you for the money.

If the agent protected the deposit with the custodial-based scheme, DPS, then the deposit is held safely with them.

If you mean what if the tenant did not pay a deposit, then no refund is due.

If you mean what if T *did* pay a deposit, but has no evidence of having done so (e.g. bank records, receipt, contract, etc) and you falsely allege that no deposit was paid, then I cannot comment further.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by Forgetmeknot
          Thankyou for your replies.

Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
          One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
          19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
        • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by Forgetmeknot
          I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
          so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
          18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
        • Reply to Single parent renting
          by doobrey
          Certainly.

In my view, both sides must be free to choose. If you take away the right of businesses (which LLs are, whether they consider themselves to be or not) to assess risk and respond accordingly they will not be in business for very long. And if the LLs disappear then...
          19-05-2022, 08:18 AM
        • Single parent renting
          by Dct
          A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
          18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
          by Dct
          The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
          19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
        • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
          by DoricPixie
          You don't need to get the details from the Land Registry. The tenant can request, in writing, the letting agency to supply the landlord's contact details citing the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. I'm not sure how wise that would be if it could potentially hack off the landlord although I do wonder...
          19-05-2022, 08:09 AM
        • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
          by Renterthedragon
          I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
          18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
          by jpkeates
          Dct If the reason that your friend can't get a tenancy is because she's a woman or because she has children, it is probably discriminatory.
          Which is probably a reason no one is going to explain why she's being turned down.

Being on benefits isn't going to help either - because people...
          19-05-2022, 08:02 AM
          by jpkeates
          I can't tell you how hacked off I would be if one of my tenants did that.

The agreement has a price variation clause in it, the landlord and tenant have both agreed to it,...
          19-05-2022, 07:58 AM
          by theartfullodger
          Spend £3 with gov.uk land registry and get deeds which will get owner name and address then communicate directly
          Agree with above advice

Agent probably wants new agreement signed so they charge landlord fees....
          19-05-2022, 07:21 AM
        Working...
        X