L failed to do promised works- can T enforce promise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L failed to do promised works- can T enforce promise?

After recently viewing a property, we expressed an interest in letting the property if the landlord did some work to the property. A few days later we were told that the landlord was not letting the property due to the work required. The next day we received a call saying that the landlord agreed the work will be done however, there are now three people interested and we must all submit a fee to cover costs and the landlord will choose from the three applicants. As we were the first people to our knowledge to express an interest in the property can this be done and if so is it legal. Can anyone help

I am afraid the landlord can do this, it is up to him whom he rents to. I am guessing he wants to do multiple credit/reference checks to ensure he gets the 'best' tenant.

Whether you want to agree to this is up to you - but I would make sure you get in writing that the fee is refundable if you do not become tenants - and if you do agree to a tenancy, you should also get these proposed works in writing before you sign on the dotted line

Comment

"I will see to the works after you move in."

=

"Yes I will still love you in the morning."

"The cheque is in the post."

"The Pope will meet Ian Paisley in a gay bar."

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
        I am afraid the landlord can do this, it is up to him whom he rents to. I am guessing he wants to do multiple credit/reference checks to ensure he gets the 'best' tenant.

Whether you want to agree to this is up to you - but I would make sure you get in writing that the fee is refundable if you do not become tenants - and if you do agree to a tenancy, you should also get these proposed works in writing before you sign on the dotted line
        I completely agree. Make sure it states the fee is refundable which it should be and that the works are put in writing clearly outlining everything that should be done with the landlords signature.

Comment

Originally posted by sb247 View Post
          Make sure[...]that the works are put in writing clearly outlining everything that should be done with the landlords signature.
          I repeat:

"I will see to the works after you move in."

=

"Yes I will still love you in the morning."

"The cheque is in the post."

"The Pope will meet Ian Paisley in a gay bar."

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X