Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T from overseas wants to rent property

Hi,

This may be a hypothetical question as we are currently awaiting credit and reference checks on a prospective T for our flat. However, in the meantime I have had another enquiry from the USA. Lady left a message saying she was interested and gave an email address for me to contact. I have replied that we have a T lined up, but if it should fall through, I will get back to her. She has a strong american accent, so I assume will be a US citizen; I guess travelling or coming to work in the UK and looking for somewhere to live.

Bascially, if it should work out that we fall back on her as a 2nd prospective T, how do we carry out credit checks etc on someone overseas? Do the normal verifying services cover overseas applicants? Is there anything special we should bear in mind if taking on someone who is not already a UK resident?

Any advice appreciated,
    Thanks L

Why not use an American firm to verify your tenant? It would be easy enough to find one on t'internet.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
      Hi,

This may be a hypothetical question as we are currently awaiting credit and reference checks on a prospective T for our flat. However, in the meantime I have had another enquiry from the USA. Lady left a message saying she was interested and gave an email address for me to contact. I have replied that we have a T lined up, but if it should fall through, I will get back to her. She has a strong american accent, so I assume will be a US citizen; I guess travelling or coming to work in the UK and looking for somewhere to live.

Bascially, if it should work out that we fall back on her as a 2nd prospective T, how do we carry out credit checks etc on someone overseas? Do the normal verifying services cover overseas applicants? Is there anything special we should bear in mind if taking on someone who is not already a UK resident?

Any advice appreciated,
      Thanks L
      The owners of this site have another company called tenantVerify.
      One of their services is referencing on people overseas.
      I have not used it myself, so perhaps you should ask about it first and any limitations, etc.
      Click on their ad when it pops up on the right hand side of the screen.

Haven't see their ad in a while so here is the link to the international service.
      http://www.tenantverify.co.uk/intern...dit-checks.htm

Comment

I found this as well when I googled for an international tenant check. anyone use them and know how good/legit their service is?

Comment

6 months rent upfront plus 6 weeks deposit. 6 month contract.

Comment

Tenant insisted on 12 mo contract with 6 mo break clause (which wouldn't protect me) so in finding middle ground I said 12 mo with 9 mo break clause.

Can a break clause be at any time in a 12 mo contract? EA said yes.

Comment

Well, well, well, who remembers TenantsLuvMe (#3)? Now s/he was an interesting character...!
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Is there anything special we should bear in mind if taking on someone who is not already a UK resident ?
                1) You have to make sure they are not an illigal immigrant.
                ( letters and phone calls before you offer a tenacy. )

2) Lets assume they are renting in U.S.A. and if they trash your place
                and go back to U.S.A. you will not know their new address, because
                ex tenant wont know till they get back to U.S.A. and find
                accomodation, and theyhave no need to tell you their forwarding address.

Give yourself the same advice you give others.

Comment

Thanks Ram, but this OP was mine, posted nearly 3 years ago, and I never went through with the US enquiry as the tenant I was already checking came good.

"Bird" resurrected to follow-up with another query, and whilst your advice is good for anyone else reading, no longer relevant to my situation.

Comment

mine, posted nearly 3 years ago, no longer relevant to my situation.

Oooops -- I did not notice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X