X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T using aliases- repeat credit checks?

Hi Everyone,

Please can you help.

I believe I have a tenant from hell. This woman after credit check, I now find she has quickly changed her name three times in 8 weeks. She claimed that her last home was being repossessed, which the council verified.

I now feel I have been let down and lied to. She is systematically destroying my dream home. She is throwing out my things, ie. curtains, floor mats to protect the new floor dumped outside, young children allowed to climb over kitchen units, damaged the garage door, pulled the toilet roll holder off the wall, pulled off the letterbox and floodedthe bathroom damaging the lounge ceiling. All in six weeks. Now claims harassment following notice to Quit.

I note the third alias today and threatening lawyers.

Does anyone know of a good referencing agancy or such like? I'm trying to find out who this woman is once and for all? Can i verify who she is via Inland Revenue?

Many Thanks for any help,

A

Hell is full of tenants, it seems.

What notice exactly have you served her, and on what grounds? There is no such thing as a 'notice to quit'.

Also, whilst not for one moment condoning her behaviour, I cannot help feeling that you have walked into this blindfold. For a start, it stopped being your 'dream home' when you rented it out. Second, you're asking about having her referenced at this point - six weeks after she has moved in. Inland Revenue will not be interested in discussing her credentials with you - why would they?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hi Mind the Gap,

Thankyou very much for coming back to me.

I understand I let it out, circumstance I guess. I've put alot into it probably like alot of other people.

What I'm trying to say, is that I am trying to find out who she really is. She blamed the Landlord for her predicament,I did vet her but she didn't give the last landlord as he had apprently not been nice to her, no papaerwork etc and housig verified the repossession. I now believe she drove him into it as there are various emergency phonecalls regards breakdown ie. boiler to find her next door intoxicated and the children on their own. She cam back through her references as low risk, the council refuse to discuss her apart from telling me that they will be supporting their client.They lied to me, I am now going to try to prove that via Data Protection, ie . I pay £11 to get any info that involves my name or voice.

I'm now trying to source an indepth account of who she is, even if it means a private investigator.

I have deliberately left out the Notice issue as such as i am in Scotland. For interest purposes only, I gave her two weeks under the Housing Scotland Act 1998, submitting the AT6 on grounds 11,12, and 13, being deterioration of the property, recurrent lateness for paying the rent and breach of contract.
      I'm not asking you or anyone else to comment on these particular elements.

I am taking advice from a Legal helpline and Citizens Advice for this,

Thankyou for your help with anything you can offer,

Much appreciated for the support,

A

Comment

Why does it matter who she is?
        Surely you have the identity of who she was when you let out the property to her?

Just correspond to the same name you put on her notice to quit.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          There is no such thing as a 'notice to quit'.
          Yes, there is. However, NTQ cannot be used by L against T if the letting is within the Housing Act 1988 (AST or SAT).
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Disillusioned View Post
            I'm now trying to source an indepth account of who she is, even if it means a private investigator.

I have deliberately left out the Notice issue as such as i am in Scotland. For interest purposes only, I gave her two weeks under the Housing Scotland Act 1998, submitting the AT6 on grounds 11,12, and 13, being deterioration of the property, recurrent lateness for paying the rent and breach of contract.
            I'm not asking you or anyone else to comment on these particular elements.
            Fine, but your only question seems to be how to find out the T's true identity. How do you think this will help you to evict her? As thesaint says, all you have to do is use the name on the tenancy agreement in any notice or proceedings against her.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thankyou for the feedback. Westminster, this woman has taken yet another surname. So, are you saying then that makes no difference?

Jeffrey, Thankyou. Can i clarfiy please with regards to your point on Notice to Quit. Why would i not be allowed to serve Notice to quit under the Housing Act 1998 or the Housing Scotland Act 1998 whether it be AST or SAT.

I'm slightly confused a s someone in the legal helpline mentioned that I shouldn't use the NTQ either and stick to AT6 only, I'm told this similar to s.8 notice. Would it be right to say then that the two weeks notice under s.8 or AT6 is all that is rquire to raise court proceedings or intention therein then go ahead with the summons ie summary cause. I may be wrong here, but looks like common law grounds if no NTQ required, or am i way off?

Many Thanks,

A.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thankyou for the feedback. Westminster, this woman has taken yet another surname. So, are you saying then that makes no difference?

Jeffrey, Thankyou. Can i clarfiy please with regards to your point on Notice to Quit. Why would i not be allowed to serve Notice to quit under the Housing Act 1998 or the Housing Scotland Act 1998 whether it be AST or SAT.

I'm slightly confused a s someone in the legal helpline mentioned that I shouldn't use the NTQ either and stick to AT6 only, I'm told this similar to s.8 notice. Would it be right to say then that the two weeks notice under s.8 or AT6 is all that is rquire to raise court proceedings or intention therein then go ahead with the summons ie summary cause. I may be wrong here, but looks like common law grounds if no NTQ required, or am i way off?

Many Thanks,

A.
                The problem here lies with the difference between Scotland & England. We have a scottish forum where such matters are more widely understood, but here on the 'main board' we work mainly with English law. For an AST (most usual tenancy in England) there is no such thing as a NTQ - but there may be in Scotland.

Comment

But there is NTQ under English law- just not available to L on an AST/SAT.
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

That's quite correct. We regularly serve them on tenants in council emergency accommodation that we manage.

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen,

Sorry Jeffrey,

I thought you were talking about NTQ Scots Law. I understand the other English points, however didn't realise you have the NTQ also.

Visum- I will be in contact shortly, Thankyou very much,

A.

I have tried Swarb, will try again.Sadly as already mentioned by others difficult to get information, that said people are friendly just reluctant to give any advice.
                      Much prefer this site, pity we don't have one for Scotland.

Comment

Much prefer this site, pity we don't have one for Scotland.
                        But there is a nascent 'Scottish' forum at LZ. See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...aysprune=&f=20

Comment

Tenant now has alias's.Can i run another credit check

Tenant now has alias's.Can i run another credit check

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

My tenant now has three alias's.It seems various peope are looking for her. I have given her her notice and following process, however, I decided to run another credit and referencing check as discovered her real name. I did initially have her consent but now she is completely unreasonable and systematically destroying the house, not enough to prove malicious damage as yet.

Can I run another reference check to find out the truth abou this person.If so, how? It seems i need her consent to do so?

Many Thanks,

A.

Comment

Do you need her permission to cary out reference checks?

How do you know she has 3 x aliases?

Who is looking for her? If you know who is looking for her, why not write to them all, copy the letter in to all of them, so all the creditors all know where she is, share the information? This might prompt her to vacate the property?

In what way is she "systematically destroying the house"? Deliberate damage to property in which another person has a right or interest is a criminal offence for which you can take action.

pm
                            Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Hi Property Mongrel,

Thanks for getting back to me.

She used an alias to get the house, SW has now told me her real name after complaining that she was drinking next door leaving the kids in house themselves. Found this out when she made fallacious accusation of noheating and hot water, house was like toast.
                              She has since admitted switching the heating off without realising it, ie. medling with equipment.
                              She has flooded the bathroom, burst both valves on radiator and waited some 12 hours to tell me.
                              There is a hole in the wall where the toilet roll holder was.
                              The 12 year old was swinging on the garage door as was the mother,it broke,
                              The letter box is in bits. The wooden floor was new in the hall, she threw out the mats there to protect it.
                              She is dragging the tumble dryer to the side door along the new wooden floor in the kitchen.
                              I am now in contact with the previous landlord she hid(I did get references from the agent who introduced her to him) they lied.The council alos lied about a tenancy report which is either non existant or false.
                              She has done similar to his house and not paid the rent.Spent on a paddling pool and trampoline,playing games as he was in mortgage arrears.
                              She has had the neighbour next door harass my family, I have since warned him off.
                              Prepayment meters oput into the property, expects me to pay £300 when she leaves to have them reverted to credit meters.
                              Credit checks, seems agenst want her to sign for her permission. Do you know of one that doesn't as she would appear to be in serious debt and well known to SW who brought her to my property in the first instance but didn't identify herself. She was introduced a s friend and next of kin.
                              Many Thanks,
                              A.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X