Factoring cost of improvements into rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factoring cost of improvements into rent

I am trying to work out how to factor the cost of improvements to a property into the rent. This must be an almost universal issue, and I would expect there is a standard approach. I have searched for an answer but so far without success. More specifically, if one has spent, say, £3000 improving a property, e.g. by installing central heating, how would one calculate what increase in rent to apply?

I am a newbie both to the rental sector and this forum, so any help will be much appreciated

This is an added benefit for you as LL, and tax deductable I think... it may also show in an Increase in the property value. therefore should not be totally passed to the current tenants in their rent, they move out in 6 months and not have the full benefit of the increase!!

You would also struggle as Rent is driven by market forces... so you should not ask for more than the property is worth! Look at what similar properties are going for in your area and work it out that way.
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by robbieBB View Post
      I am trying to work out how to factor the cost of improvements to a property into the rent. This must be an almost universal issue, and I would expect there is a standard approach. I have searched for an answer but so far without success. More specifically, if one has spent, say, £3000 improving a property, e.g. by installing central heating, how would one calculate what increase in rent to apply?
      Are you talking about how much to increase the rent for a particular tenant, ie in a property which is already tenanted but you've just upgraded? Or you've upgraded an empty property and now want to come up with a monthly rent figures?

The second case is straightforward - it's what the market will stand, as you've already been advised. The first case is slightly more complicated, but essentially similar.

Either way, I think you're looking at things the wrong way around - you can't expect to come up with a formula equating an rent increase with a capital sum spent on improvements. You should be thinking, eg - "how much more rent can I charge for a property with central heating versus one without?" - it's completely irrelevant whether that particular upgrade cost you £1000, £3000, or £6000.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
        by Chester Perry
        I posted elsewhere on here and feedback was a mix of its not worth it as nothing will happen (plus police will treat as a tenancy issue) and its worth doing to get a crime number.

Not going to claim on insurance given excess etc. The fridge freezers value second hand / age considered probably...
        18-09-2020, 14:22 PM
      • Part furnished
        by Chester Perry
        Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
        18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
      • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
        by jpkeates
        A 15 year old washing machine has almost zero value (and will have less when you move out).
        The landlord can only legitimately claim for their loss if you bin it.

A mid range washing machine is about £350 (and they haven't changed much in price recently), and imagining one would...
        18-09-2020, 14:14 PM
      • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
        by Bumblebee3000
        We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
        17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
      • Reply to Part furnished
        by theartfullodger
        Trust you've reported the thefts to police
        18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
      • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
        by Bumblebee3000
        This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
        18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
      • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
        by jpkeates
        The process seems to have changed recently.
        The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
        You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
        But you do that with only access to what the...
        18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
      • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
        by Maymiss
        I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
        03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
      • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
        by jpkeates
        Every notice escalated to court is recorded and the figures published quarterly, so breaking out the s21 notices from the s8 shouldn't be complicated.

Two of the links are to House of Commons research papers, to be fair!...
        18-09-2020, 13:51 PM
      • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
        by fmST1
        When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
        I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
        11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
      Working...
      X