Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't contact Landlord?

Hi Guys,

I am currently renting with my partner through a private landlord. We are 5 months into a 6 month contract.

I currently can't get in touch with my Landlord, I have been trying to 3+ months now. The only contact I have had was a text message saying should she would call, to no avail.

I have called, emailed, txt and left countless answer phone messages!

She installed a new cooker when we moved in that had problems, a repair man condemned unsafe and wasn't installed properly it and stated we need another. This has been arranged but I was not in to take delivery and had to turn the delivery men away, the same with a shower fitting she organised. (this was 3 months ago and the last time I spoke to her, she was late getting up to take delivery and I had to be in work!)

I have had a txt stating she is having personal problems and will get back to me, but nothing as of yet.. I am just concerned as soon as the house tendency is up she will sell etc

Is there any route we can go down to sort this out? We have always paid on time and in full.

I am assuming you have an AST, in which case unfortunately there is nothing you can do to prevent the LL selling up, although you cannot be required to move out before the end of the fixed term and only then if she has served the appropriate notice correctly and protected any protectable deposit.

If she fails to respond to your request for repairs to be done there is a protocol you can follow to instruct tradesmen yourself and deduct the cost from your rent until/unless she reimburses you.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      I am assuming you have an AST, in which case unfortunately there is nothing you can do to prevent the LL selling up, although you cannot be required to move out before the end of the fixed term and only then is she has served the appropriate notice correctly and protected any protectable deposit.

If she fails to respond to your request for repairs to be done there is a protocol you can follow to instruct tradesmen yourself and deduct the cost from your rent until/unless she reimburses you.
      Thanks very much for the quick reply, what is an AST and do you have a link or a name for this protocol?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by concerned-t View Post
        Thanks very much for the quick reply, what is an AST and do you have a link or a name for this protocol?

Thanks

You're welcome. Sorry, an AST is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (the most common kind of tenancy in private rented accommodation, where you have the right to live there for a specifed period,rather than indefinitely. There is usually but not always the option to renew at the end of the fixed term.

However, even if your LL sells up, the buyer may be happy to keep you on as a tenant if he does not wish to occupy the property himself.

This is a really useful link which explains the protocol for repairs when LL won't act:
        http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...n_private_lets
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

As your tenancy is coming to an end, do you want to leave, or do you want to stay?

Also, if you paid a deposit, have you been given any indication that this has been legally protected in a government approved scheme? (DPS, TDS or My|Deposits)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X