What are the rules for contacting tenants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the rules for contacting tenants?

Am I allowed to say, phone them up to discuss the situation with them? Our flat is rented through agents who are being worse than useless.

Originally posted by blitzoid View Post
    Am I allowed to say, phone them up to discuss the situation with them? Our flat is rented through agents who are being worse than useless.
    I don't believe that there is a law that says you may not phone your tenants up.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by blitzoid View Post
      Of course you can contact your tenants if you wish. They are your tenants, not your agent's. It does however beg the question of why you are paying a'worse than useless' agent - smacks of buying a dog, but barking yourself!

Sack the agent.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Check the contract you have with the agent, there is usually a one month notice period. All contracts have to have a termination clause, they can't lock you in ad infinitum. Even if the clause says something silly it can always be challenged as unreasonable or unenforceable.

Comment

Originally posted by gardeningmad View Post
          All contracts have to have a termination clause.
          Do they? Where does it say that, then?
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Possible to end tenancy early?
            by May79
            My cat wasn’t that old or sick, we have had numerous sightings of him some 20 miles away and believe someone has dumped him there. We’re still searching for him.
            Thanks for your advice it’s much appreciated, I’ll start looking for somewhere else. I’m hoping that their appalling conduct...
            22-09-2020, 16:53 PM
          • Possible to end tenancy early?
            by May79
            I’m having a truly horrific time in my new rental property and after an incident with LL today I’ve decided I cannot stay here. I’ve signed a 12 month assured shorthold tenancy and LL is in breach of the agreed terms on multiple counts. I do not feel safe here anymore and despite the exorbitant...
            21-09-2020, 22:07 PM
          • Reply to Proving tenants are related
            by DPT57
            Yes, but the HMO regulations are in statute and I assume that a Council policy defining family relationships could only relate to their licensing conditions....
            22-09-2020, 16:48 PM
          • Proving tenants are related
            by Kestrel78
            This is our first time letting a property. One of the first viewings are three nurses who say they are cousins. We don’t have permission to let as an HMO, so is there a way to prove their relationship or anything we can ask them to sign to state their relationship so we are covered legally with our...
            19-09-2020, 12:14 PM
            by jpkeates
            The only way to end the tenancy early is with the landlord's agreement.

But
            First of all, you need to find somewhere else to live and, probably, move there.
            Then take the keys to the agent and offer to surrender the tenancy and hand the keys over.
            Then keep your eye on...
            22-09-2020, 16:47 PM
          • Reply to Doors unable to close due to carpet
            by amy131
            You should get this addressed as forcing the doors against the carpet will cause wear and you could get a deduction from your deposit due to this. The landlord should fix the issue. When I had carpets fitted the fitter had a tool to take a few mm off the bottom of the doors without taking them off....
            22-09-2020, 16:41 PM
          • Doors unable to close due to carpet
            by Dudely
            Hi there,

I moved into a new 1-bedroom flat about a month ago and notice that all the doors (except the front door) can’t be closed fully because it get stuck on the carpet. The bathroom door can’t be closed fully as well but it has a lock on it. Wasn’t really bother with this to...
            20-09-2020, 20:45 PM
          • Reply to New tenants- what are the most important things to explain about the home?
            by DPT57
            I'm afraid I have to agree that they won't read anything long, so keep it short and they will forget they have it the day after they move in and will call you up about a question youve covered in some detail in the "manual". However, if part of the object is to cover yourself in case you need...
            22-09-2020, 16:41 PM
          • New tenants- what are the most important things to explain about the home?
            by Lots on
            I’m hoping to get new tenants in the next few weeks, the house has been totally refurbished, the last tenants left after about twenty years! I’m aiming for professionals/ family. Using agents for tenant find only
            Is it a good idea to put a “ house manual” together? What information would...
            16-09-2020, 17:51 PM
            by May79
            #6 Unapproved
            22-09-2020, 16:27 PM
            I wrote about the issues on a previous post, one of these problems escalated to unbelievable proportions. Long story short is that I checked ahead of moving in/signing that LL’s belongings would be removed from garage (I need it for storage), this was...
            22-09-2020, 16:34 PM
          Working...
          X