Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt down kitchen

Hiya,

I have a flat that is tenanted, and unfortunately last week the tenant set fire to the kitchen. It was caused by her leaving clothes on the cooker, and her child switching it on. The tenant claims housing benefits and the council have been to assess and say that she can't live there until it is fixed.

I have buildings insurance, but no contents, and the tenant has no contents insurance. I have a feeling that the kitchen appliances etc. will not be covered, just the walls and ceiling. In this case, is it the tenants responsibility to pay? And would it have to be enforced on her through court action? Lastly would anyone know if housing benefits should still pay the rent whilst she isn't there, as the fire was caused by her?

Many Thanks

Who owned the kitchen appliances- you, your HP company, T, or T's HP company?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I own them, along with the units aswell....

Comment

Originally posted by hollymakewell View Post
        I have buildings insurance, but no contents, and the tenant has no contents insurance. I have a feeling that the kitchen appliances etc. will not be covered, just the walls and ceiling.
        I think buildings insurance will cover integrated appliances, and fitted kitchen units, but not moveable items such as a free-standing fridge. Why don't you just call the insurance company and ask?

Comment

There is an inspector from the insurance company going to inspect the damage on Friday and won't tell me much until then, want to prepare myself for the worst, and see if there is any scope of pursuing the tenant for the money in the worst case scenario?

Also hoping to find out if rent is still due in the mean time?

Thanks

Comment

Hb

You won't get any rent payment from HB whilst she is elsewhere and as she is unable to live there you can't charge her rent.

Do you have evidence from the Fire Officer as to the cause?

Comment

And does L's insurance not provide cover for loss of rent on premises rendered uninhabitable?
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by hollymakewell View Post
                I have buildings insurance,
                Do you have residential buildings insurance, or a policy specifically designed for landlords?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                  Do you have residential buildings insurance, or a policy specifically designed for landlords?
                  I have residential through my service charges (block of flats).

Comment

Be prepared not get a payout then.

Then get some Landlord's Insurance.
                    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Ok thanks,

Is there anyway I can pursue the tenant for the damage, if the report comes back that the fire is the tenants fault?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mk1fan View Post
                        Be prepared not get a payout then.

Then get some Landlord's Insurance.
                        You can't get LL's buildings insurance when the rental property is a flat. I see no reason why the block building insurance would not pay for structural damage and damage to integrated appliances/kitchen units (though obviously there may be small print about negligence or something). I once had a flood in a rental flat, and the block buildings insurance paid for replacing the flooring without any problem.

OP should, however, get LL's contents/loss of rent insurance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X