drugs found in tenants bedroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drugs found in tenants bedroom

I have a tenant who will not correspond with me at all. About a week ago, I was at the house and wanted to speak with him and I let myself into his room (which I know I shouldn't have done) but found a small amount of marijuana Would the police be interested in this? We also had a confrontation about the rent where he's been paying less rent every month for the past 6 months. He was aggressive in his manner and we got nowhere. He has been in the house 9 months but never signed or returned the contract I posted to him and his argument now is show me the contract that he's signed and he will pay up with the rental amount on it.

All comments would be very much appreciated.

Is this the same tenant as in previous threads?

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=31447
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=29636

I don't know why you haven't served a s.21 notice yet?

Comment

Yes it is the same tenant. I haven't served notice because I just know he wouldn't pay any rent at all and then I could be stuck with him for say 6 months and I would also say he would trash the house, and then the other tenants who are very good would move out? He looks psychotic and I was quite scared of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Richarddavid View Post
        Yes it is the same tenant. I haven't served notice because I just know he wouldn't pay any rent at all and then I could be stuck with him for say 6 months and I would also say he would trash the house, and then the other tenants who are very good would move out? He looks psychotic and I was quite scared of him.
        So on that basis you think dobbing him in to the law over a 'personal-use' quantity of weed would be a productive plan because...?

Comment

I have a tenant who will not correspond with me at all. About a week ago, I was at the house and wanted to speak with him and I let myself into his room (which I know I shouldn't have done) but found a small amount of marijuana Would the police be interested in this? We also had a confrontation about the rent where he's been paying less rent every month for the past 6 months. He was aggressive in his manner and we got nowhere. He has been in the house 9 months but never signed or returned the contract I posted to him and his argument now is show me the contract that he's signed and he will pay up with the rental amount on it.

All comments would be very much appreciated.

Clearly he has not taken enough weed if he is getting aggressive with you.
          Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Yes it is the same tenant. I haven't served notice because I just know he wouldn't pay any rent at all and then I could be stuck with him for say 6 months...
            And you think not serving notice means he'll volunteer to leave...???

Comment

MODERATOR: Please merge with OP's previous threads (see post #2 for links).

Comment

OP - I suggest you look at Section 8 Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.

If you want the T out then Police attention may be able to facilitate this for you? You do not know what his drug relevant history is, or if he is into other activity.

Doing nothing, looking the other way etc is not an option for you, unless you want to leave yourself open to legal action.

pm
                Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

there won't be much of a consequence anyway unless he has enough to be dealing...
                  Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by property mongrel View Post
                    Doing nothing, looking the other way etc is not an option for you, unless you want to leave yourself open to legal action.
                    Hardly - the OP only became aware of the issue by entering the tenant's room without permission. Arguably, he could even make himself vulnerable to legal action against him for doing that!

Comment

Is the OP of this thread having a laugh?

Originally posted by property mongrel View Post

pm
                      What action?
                      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

err - I knew someone had a tiny bit of cannabis for personal use and I didn't call the SWAT team action I suppose.
                        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X