Requesting statuatory periodic fair and the norm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requesting statuatory periodic fair and the norm?

I'm wondering if anybody could provide an opinion on this? Please note that I do not yet know if tthe enant is letting through an agent or directly from landlord, so I assume both cases.

Can a Landlord or Letting Agent force a Tenant to sign a new 12 month AST after the initial one comes to an end?

Clearly the Tenant can stand his ground and say he wants the AST to convert to a statuatory periodic, but in reality would this risk the Landlord (Letting Agent) getting upset and them issuing a section 21?

The tenant I am asking for does not know what the future will bring and to keep signing 12 month contracts pretty much negates the benefit of having 1 month notice periods. Equally, the tenant is concerned that if they refuse to sign a new AST they may lose their property.

What is the real life expectation/norm in such circumstances these days?

Thanks for any opinons

A landlord certainly cannot force a tenant to take a new fixed term. However, as you suggest, a landlord can issue a section 21 notice. Whether a sensible landlord does or not depends on how he sees the situation.

When agents come into the equation it can start to get a bit complicated because some agents will see the chance to do a bit of churning.

Comment

A middle ground may be to ask for a 6 month agreement - there is no set length for a tenancy agreement, it can be as short or as long (with some exceptions) as both parties agree.

Comment

You ask re "Requesting statutory periodic fair and the norm?"

T does not 'request' any such. An SPT arises by automatic operation of law, following expiry of a fixed term AST/SAT.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
          by Lawcruncher
          Just to clarify, what I meant was that the requirement comes from the tenancy terms if they include it....
          29-01-2022, 08:38 AM
        • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
          by Piffy
          I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
          27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
        • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
          by Flashback1966
          or just work hard and hopefully take an early retirement.

You can't predict the future. Things always go in cycle. They want to get rid of Section 21, so you may be unable to get your property back. You may end up working and subsidising your rentals....
          29-01-2022, 03:42 AM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by DoricPixie
          It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
          28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
        • Renting rooms
          by Luke
          I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
          I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
          I do not intend to live at the property
          Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
          As its...
          28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by DoricPixie
          I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
          28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by theartfullodger
          Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
          28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by Hudson01
          If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
          28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
        • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
          by jpkeates
          That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
          The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
          28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
        Working...
        X