Houseshare problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houseshare problems

I would appreciate any general advice from forum members.
    I am in a househare in London with 3 other tenants. An AST was signed at the start of the houseshare with joint and several liability. The AST expired 2 months ago. Since then I have continued paying rent for the property, including a slight increase in rent made by the landlord at term expiry, and also one of the tenants has been replaced with a new tenant.
    I have not signed a new AST as I shall be leaving the property soon. I have been advised by the lettings agent that it is my responsibility to find a replacement tenant, and that although there is no signed agreement, as I accepted the rent increase at term expiry then in effect a new AST has been started. Is this likely to be true, or can I simply give notice to quit? My thought would be that the AST has ended, that I am now on a statutory periodic tenancy and that I can end this by the notice to quit.

Thanks,
    SJR

Originally posted by SJR View Post
    My thought would be that the AST has ended, that I am now on a statutory periodic tenancy and that I can end this by the notice to quit.
    I agree. The increased rent agreed is, IMO, a variation of the terms of the existing tenancy, not equivalent to a renewal of the fixed term. In any case, what is the fixed term of this so-called renewal?

As this is a statutory periodic tenancy, your notice to quit will end the tenancy for all the joint tenants, so make sure the others are aware of this, because if they want to stay on they'll have to negotiate a new contract with the LL.

And you obviously have no obligation to find a replacement for yourself.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply and advice Westminster. That's pretty much what I thought the position would be.

Comment

Just make sure you put your notice in writing, that it gives LL at least one month and also ends at the end of a tenancy period, and keep a copy/proof of posting, so that you have the evidence should agent/LL attempt to dispute your notice etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
          Jenny7
          Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
          So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
          We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
          17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
        • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
          MrShed
          Not meaning to bang the same drum over and over - but I repeat that you dont have to submit your current landlord as a reference, you have another reference.

This isnt the rental system - no one is ever obligated to give anyone a reference, regardless of the source or cause.

20-07-2017, 12:34 PM
          JK0
          I suspect it's just the agent who does not want to lose client or commission by there being even one day void. Personally, I am always flexible about tenant moving dates.

It will be rather ironic if you can't move on notice day, and they then have to explain to new tenant that he can't...
          20-07-2017, 12:33 PM
        • Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
          newlandlord17
          I was an unexpected landlord when I inherited a property recently. Originally I thought I wanted to carry on but then the tenant was nagging about small repairs and when my contractor went in he said the house was very messy, there was a smell of cat urine and a lampshade and door had been damaged....
          20-07-2017, 10:21 AM
        • Reply to Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
          islandgirl
          A tenant once reported me to the council because the property runs on LPG and LPG is more expensive than normal gas.- obviously the property was already on LPG when she moved in and there is no gas in this rural area! The council came out and inspected and were very nice to everyone but as you can imagine...
          20-07-2017, 12:33 PM
        • What next? Bailiffs?
          MrEllington
          We rented our property last year, and had a tenant that didn't pay rent for the last 6 months of his tenancy.
          He cited health issues, but was clearly seen with a new car, and waltzing around dumping furniture that he didn't need

We had to use a Section 21 eviction notice to get him...
          19-07-2017, 14:12 PM
        • Reply to What next? Bailiffs?
          islandgirl
          Ha ha I do! However to be honest I love the thought that he has to struggle to pay the £100 a month or so every month - I am sure he thinks of me fondly as he sends off the payment! He has paid off about half of it now though - I waited 2 years and got nothing so sent it to the High Court for £60.There...
          20-07-2017, 12:30 PM
        • Reply to Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
          theartfullodger
          Would need to expire after end fixed term.

Have S3 & s48 notices been served prior to s21?

Are you confident s21 was valid? Told by solicitor Tuesday that 70% of landlords s21s are invalid....
          20-07-2017, 12:22 PM
          Jenny7
          thanks, but it's exactly this sort of thing we wish to avoid, bad faith and stress :-(
          is the rental system really set up like this? to prevent tenants from looking and shopping and moving with ease?
          I guess we've rented the same spot so long we figured we could move when chose not be subject...
          20-07-2017, 12:22 PM
          JK0
          I wouldn't sweat it. Worse comes to worse, you can stay on at the end of your notice. Landlord would still have to go to court to get rid of you.
          20-07-2017, 12:17 PM
        Working...
        X