Attractions of new property not as it seems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attractions of new property not as it seems

We have been here just over 6 weeks. Our first thoughts on seeing the house was the drive way, drive gates and garage, quite a luxury where we live and because I am an essential car driver it would mean having the car in the garage in the winter and actually being able to drive out instead of digging it out like last year.
    I drive a small 2 door modern car, there is no way at all that I can get the car through the gates and even less chance of getting it in the garage.
    There was an old classic car in there when we viewed the house, they are 8 inches smaller in width than mine.
    I'm really unhappy about this, dont suppose our LL gave it any thought but I'd really like to mention it to him but don't want to cause any problems.

Any thought anyone apart from knocking all the gates and posts down,
    How would you LL feel if it was your property, I don't know what to say.

I don't think your landlord is likely to agree to alterations to the gateway. You made an assumption (like most of us would) that the gateway and garage would be wide enough for your car. The landlord/agent made no suggestion that it would - you just assumed without checking.

For what it's worth - I had a new set of double gates fitted into my own back garden wall some years ago as part of a garden makeover - the size of them never crossed my mind, until I found I couldn't get into my own garden!

Comment

I know I agree, there aren't any other gardens with drives and gates in the area. They've all since been taken down and left open, its such a shame as i have to leave the car outside the gates on the open verge, not really what I had planned.
      Oh well if i don't ask his opinion I wont know!

Comment

If I read this right, you are asking LL about making structural changes to his boundary because of your oversight?

Before you even raise the matter and start the discussion you may wish to be clear about what you hope to achieve and what you are willing to do to achieve it? Are you prepared to pay for the demolition of the wall, fence and gates, removal of any shrubbery or plants flower bed etc, and reinstatement of the same at the end of your tenancy? Or will you pay for widening the gap and new gates, pillars or posts?

Winters like the last are few and far between, I think the frequency is something like every 5 years or so, but may be wrong? Is this what you are preparing for?

pm
        Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jude View Post
          Any thought anyone apart from knocking all the gates and posts down,
          Construct a tunnel slightly wider than your car from the verge to the garage leaving the gateposts intact? Alternatively, swap your car for a Smart Car, or ask the LL if you can buy/rent his classic car.
          Originally posted by red_jude View Post
          How would you LL feel if it was your property, I don't know what to say.
          If you want the honest answer, it is that I would be very unwilling at this early stage to allow you to demolish my boundary wall, gatesposts etc just so you can fit your car in. You may only be there for six months/a year, however much you love it at at the moment. If you proved to be a good tenant it would be worth approaching your LL in a year's time and pointing out that you really would appreciate being able to get your car in the garage and would he consider allowing you to widen the entrance slightly. He will presumably have the same problem whoever he rents to unless they are cyclists/motorcyclists/non-drivers.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Really funny that, the Smart car is only 16cm smaller in width than our car which is standard!
            We did ask if he wanted to sell his classic car, love them!
            Yes we will be here for more than 6 months, we have a 24 month tenancy.

Yes we would be prepared to fund the cost of widening the driveway if it meant it would benefit us, why would I ask the LL to do something that is ultimately going to cost him.

I don't get the way some people think, I'm not out to require the LL to spend money because of us. Obviously there are some tenants who do this, I just want somewhere decent to live, we pay enough for it, we want to enjoy it.

Comment

There is no harm in asking your LL, if you are prepared to contribute or fully meet the cost of the work, and make sure the work done is within regulations and to his satisfaction. You might also need planning permission to widen the access.

To be honest, it wouldn't even have entered my head to measure the garage and driveway. I would measure rooms for furniture etc, but assume drives and garages are built to a standard size. Perhaps your LL thought the same, as if he only used it for a particular car, maybe he genuinely didn't think it was a problem.

Was the garage and "off road parking" advertised as an asset to the property when you viewed it? If so, perhaps you could suggest to your LL/LA that as the garage/drive is not fit for purpose in its current state, you are seeking a reduction in the rent, unless you can come to some arrangement to change it to meet your requirements? After all, subsequent tenants when you eventually move on, are likely to have the same problem, so it will be an asset to the property when its brought up to modern standard.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Lesley Anne.
                The garage and drive way was part of the description of the property when it was advertised, it wasn't over exaggerated but was mentioned, it was particularly appealing as parking is always an issue.

I didn't realise when we first came to view or even when we moved in but it was only when I tried to get the car through the gates and knew there was no way without damage.

I have mentioned it to the letting agent to ask the LL for his comments - nothing.
                Haven't mentioned it again, don't want to be seen as a problem really and quite honestly we do like the house but I agree it is not fit for purpose.

What to do now?

Comment

I have to disagree with the tone of the previous posts [not many tenants I'm guessing]. If I rented a house with a 'garage' - thereby as part of the rental package that you are already PAYING FOR.

To me it would be like having a washing machine in the kitchen but when you move in and open the door, the hole is too small to put clothes in.

Was the house advertised to you as having a 'garage' as opposed to a 'stone outbuilding/store room'? I don't see why you should foot the bill if you are paying a premium for a property with a 'garage'? Would have thought LL has a duty to provide property fit for purpose.

Guess it depends on what was advertised by the A and/or what is in the TA/inventory. Can you advise?

Comment

Originally posted by gardeningmad View Post
                    I have to disagree with the tone of the previous posts [not many tenants I'm guessing]. If I rented a house with a 'garage' - thereby as part of the rental package that you are already PAYING FOR.

To me it would be like having a washing machine in the kitchen but when you move in and open the door, the hole is too small to put clothes in.

Was the house advertised to you as having a 'garage' as opposed to a 'stone outbuilding/store room'? I don't see why you should foot the bill if you are paying a premium for a property with a 'garage'? Would have thought LL has a duty to provide property fit for purpose.

Guess it depends on what was advertised by the A and/or what is in the TA/inventory. Can you advise?

Well, obviously, there is a garage - the tenant even saw a car parked there. Whether the garage and gates are big enough for this tenant's car are a separate issue and the tenant's problem not the LL's (and I think the tenant realises this, given that he is willing to pay to have them widened). I think it's totally misleading to start bringing up phrases like 'fit for purpose' in this instance. Would you apply the same rule to a front door if the tenant couldn't get his furniture through, or to a room in the house because a tenant couldn't fit his particular furniture in? Garages, gates, driveways, doorways, rooms etc etc come in a variety of sizes, it's up to the tenant to make sure they are the right size for what he wants.

Comment

If the gates are hung on the inboard side of the pillars, could you not just remove the gates themselves thereby giving you some more several inches of width and then reinstate the gates if/when you leave?

I dont see anywhere in your posts that you have even asked your landlord yet - pontification on here is not really getting you anywhere - speaking to your landlord will, either a yes or no - thats the only way forward for you!!!!

Comment

Modern garages may not necessarily be suitable for all cars, likewise a driveway.

I know that as a LL I would never do building works to widen the entrance to a driveway. The house is provided "as-is". Likewise if I rent out a victorian house and the tenant cannot get a £3000 sofa in through the lounge door - that is is his problem as he should have measured the pathway through which it would enter BEFORE buying it.
                        Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

well I am a bit of soft touch LL as if it were mine I'd probably try & get half paid by T, half by me. If unsuccessful I'd probably just pay.

Call me Mr Generous but I'd look at the cost of a months void of the property in comparison to the refurb work. Also, most family houses have family cars so the problem would only repeat itself next time round.

Sadly my Ts don't respect my generosity & usually change each year but at least the place is kept in good condition & relets immediately. Voids are my potential biggest cost & make the carpets, painting, sofas etc look like bargains.

Just my thought & up to now a unique one!

Comment

Sorry I seem to have missed the point in the post of p_cas, I thought a garage was for the use of housing a car and the driveway to the garage for the use of getting the car into the garage.
                            If neither are able to facilitate this they 'aren't fit for purpose'

Anyway wouldn't want to upset my dear LL at this point as they are such precious creatures, I'll keep paying the rent and say nothing, isn't that what good tenants are supposed to do?

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post

I dont see anywhere in your posts that you have even asked your landlord yet - pontification on here is not really getting you anywhere - speaking to your landlord will, either a yes or no - thats the only way forward for you!!!!
                              'I have mentioned it to the letting agent to ask the LL for his comments - nothing.'

Yes I have mentioned it on here as stated previously, pontification, thats a good word. Why on earth would I be doing that?

Oh and taking the gates off the hinges will solve nothing, the hinges point inward.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X