About to serve accelorated possession papers, but what is a certificate of service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to serve accelorated possession papers, but what is a certificate of service?

Hi,
    I have rented my house through an estate agency, and I asked them to give notice to my tenants, which they did as a s21.
    I now need to go through the official channels to get tenants out (council have advised them to stay until formal eviction, grr).
    I am doing the accelerated possession papers myself, but am unsure if I need a certificate of service. As I said, I instructed the estate agency to give the enants notice, and I have photocopies of the S21 and a photocopy of a proof of postage from the post office.
    Please advise! I have never rented my property before, and have had my fingers well and truly burnt.

Regards, LJB

Another time, it would be better to send two copies of the s21 from different post offices and to keep the free certificates of posting as a court will accept these as proof you served it. (A T might persuade a judge he hadn't received one notice, but not two!)

If you have not done that, then the original certificate would be better than a photocopy, I would think. Who has that?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I presume the estate agency. I sent an email asking them to instruct the tenants. I went and got copies of all the paperwork from them.

Comment

Originally posted by ljbljb View Post
        I presume the estate agency. I sent an email asking them to instruct the tenants. I went and got copies of all the paperwork from them.
        Since you are representing yourself you will need to provide a bundle of documents for the court and I would assume that it is preferable to have the originals in your possession.

They are no use to the agents, are they?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

That's a good point! I'll ask for them. They can have the photocopies back! Thanks for the advice. I'm having a nightmare and feel the situation is very unfair, but I will follow the law. Just wish I had somewhere to live myself.....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by mokka
            Tough really. Tenant didn’t do it not his responsibility. Landlord has to either claim in his insurance because I just know the police won’t cough up as they will quote the said law that covers them as they don’t break down doors as a habit and without cause.

On the other hand the...
            22-01-2022, 10:47 AM
          • Property damaged. Advice please
            by minorbark
            Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
            18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
          • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by jpkeates
            You have to be careful with these press release statistics though.

That figure quotes a survey based on landlord's responses based on something that began to happen last October, when the £20 a week was removed from the UC payment.
            So it's quite a specific period.

And...
            22-01-2022, 10:29 AM
          • Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by AVJ113
            Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
            20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
            by Perce
            The T. deliberately let the police break the door. So he should pay for it in one way or another. He knew very well what the police were doing but did not care.
            22-01-2022, 10:18 AM
          • Reply to Charity Opening up house next door as Temp Housing
            by Interlaken
            What sort of charity? If 3 or more unrelated people are to live there it could be a House of Mulitple Occupation (HMO) which could require a licence or planning consent from the council.
            I have had bad experiences with these types of projects. Often the management is non existant and the tenants...
            22-01-2022, 10:11 AM
          • Charity Opening up house next door as Temp Housing
            by westbrookdiane3
            Hi all,

this was a shock to receive a letter from next door saying they where a charity and wanted access to our property to put new drainage system into our property and tell us they are opening the house up as tempary housing. is this something we can contest, i mean can this impacts...
            22-01-2022, 03:39 AM
            by jpkeates
            If it's no one's responsibility, the landlord should insure against the risk or just accept it.

If, as I believe, it's the tenant's responsibility, the landlord should try and recover from the tenant.
            For clarity, because I think it's often a point of confusion, I don't think it's...
            22-01-2022, 10:06 AM
            by DPT57
            It does beg the question of how the landlord can get justice in a case like this, particularly if it kept happening
            22-01-2022, 09:56 AM
          • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by boletus
            Let us know how significant you think it is after your first eviction.

It certainly is and a big part of it is risk mitigation....
            22-01-2022, 09:48 AM
          Working...
          X