Periodic Tenancy clause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Periodic Tenancy clause

I trying to give notice on a periodic tenancy, I think it should be only one months notice but the agency says it is two. We have been paying rent monthly - I thought this defined the period of the tenancy.

The agency quote our contract

Please refer to the following clause on page 5 of your tenancy agreement:-

1.5.26 To give the Landlord's Agent of the Landlord one month's written notice of the Tenant intention to vacate the Premises (note: this does not permit the Tenant to terminate the Tenancy during the Term) to be given on a rent day from and including 6th January 2010. Provided That in the event that this tenancy continues after the expiry of the Term and becomes a periodic tenancy the Tenant must give the Landlord's agent of the Landlord two months written notice of the Tenant's intention to vacate the Premises such notice to be given on a rent day".

Originally posted by fras View Post
    I trying to give notice on a periodic tenancy, I think it should be only one months notice but the agency says it is two.
    So that we can give you the right advice, can you give us the exact start date (dd/mm/yy) of the last contract that you signed and how long was the term?

Did you pay a deposit, and has it been protected?

Comment

sorry I missed those two

AST signed on 06/10/2010 for 4 months
      yes the deposit is protected

Comment

AST signed on 06/10/2010 for 4 months
        Did you mean 06/01/2010?

If that is the correct date, then you are correct in that you only need to give at least one months notice, ending on a rental period.

So if you gave notice today, your notice would end on 05/10/2010.

This is from Section 21 of the 1988 Housing Act;

Notice by Tenant

Where the tenancy has become a Statutory Periodic Tenancy (where the fixed-term has ended and no new agreement signed for another fixed-term) the tenant must give the landlord notice if he wants to leave:

* The notice must be in writing
        * It must be delivered at least 4 weeks before the notice period ends or 1 month if rent is paid monthly
        * It must bring the tenancy to an end at the end of a full rent period.

The notice period must end at the end of a tenancy payment period: for example, if the rent payment date is on the 20th of each month, the notice period must end on the 20th of the month or the 19th to be on the safe side.

The tenancy agreement cannot change these basic rules, 4 weeks being the minimum notice period. However, if the tenancy period is more than 4 weeks, for example, one month, then the notice period is one month.

Comment

06/10/09 even!

So the clause in the contract is meaningless? That's what I thought, having read thread on this board and others. But when I've stated this to the letting agent they quote the contact back at me. Realistically what happens next. I really don't want to have to go to court over this; new job, moving away, etc etc.

Comment

Realistically what happens next. I really don't want to have to go to court over this; new job, moving away, etc etc.
            If you give proper notice, i.e. if served today, to expire 5th October 2010, and you moved out on or before 5th October 2010, your rental liability would end there.

If the LL continued to maintain that you were liable for a further month's rent, he would do one of two things: either agree to settle the dispute via the deposit scheme's adjudication service (which is all paper-based, and you wouldn't have to attend in person), or he would issue a county court claim (and claims are usually heard in the court closest to the defendant). Either way, not a huge amount of hassle - and either way, you'd win.

So the clause in the contract is meaningless?
            Yes, because statutory notice periods apply when the tenancy becomes a statutory periodic tenancy. However, all the non-notice provisions in the 'expired' contract continue through to the periodic tenancy.

The other part of the clause about notice during the fixed term is also meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
              Did you mean 06/01/2010?

If that is the correct date, then you are correct in that you only need to give at least one months notice, ending on a rental period.

So if you gave notice today, your notice would end on 05/10/2010.

This is from Section 21 of the 1988 Housing Act;
              No, it's not really an extract from s.21 but merely a precis of some of s.21. This is s.21:

21. Recovery of possession on expiry or termination of assured shorthold tenancy.

(1) Without prejudice to any right of the landlord under an assured shorthold tenancy to recover possession of the dwelling-house let on the tenancy in accordance with Chapter I above, on or after the coming to an end of an assured shorthold tenancy which was a fixed term tenancy, a court shall make an order for possession of the dwelling-house if it is satisfied:
              (a) that the assured shorthold tenancy has come to an end and no further assured tenancy (whether shorthold or not) is for the time being in existence, other than an assured shorthold periodic tenancy (whether statutory or not); and
              (b) the landlord or, in the case of joint landlords, at least one of them has given to the tenant not less than two months’ notice in writing stating that he requires possession of the dwelling-house.

(2) A notice under paragraph (b) of subsection (1) above may be given before or on the day on which the tenancy comes to an end; and that subsection shall have effect notwithstanding that on the coming to an end of the fixed term tenancy a statutory periodic tenancy arises.

(3) Where a court makes an order for possession of a dwelling-house by virtue of subsection (1) above, any statutory periodic tenancy which has arisen on the coming to an end of the assured shorthold tenancy shall end (without further notice and regardless of the period) on the day on which the order takes effect.

(4) Without prejudice to any such right as is referred to in subsection (1) above, a court shall make an order for possession of a dwelling-house let on an assured shorthold tenancy which is a periodic tenancy if the court is satisfied:
              (a) that the landlord or, in the case of joint landlords, at least one of them has given to the tenant a notice [F8in writing] stating that, after a date specified in the notice, being the last day of a period of the tenancy and not earlier than two months after the date the notice was given, possession of the dwelling-house is required by virtue of this section; and
              (b) that the date specified in the notice under paragraph (a) above is not earlier than the earliest day on which, apart from section 5(1) above, the tenancy could be brought to an end by a notice to quit given by the landlord on the same date as the notice under paragraph (a) above.

(5) Where an order for possession under subsection (1) or (4) above is made in relation to a dwelling-house let on a tenancy to which section 19A above applies, the order may not be made so as to take effect earlier than:
              (a) in the case of a tenancy which is not a replacement tenancy, six months after the beginning of the tenancy, and
              (b) in the case of a replacement tenancy, six months after the beginning of the original tenancy.

(5A) Subsection (5) above does not apply to an assured shorthold tenancy to which section 20B (demoted assured shorthold tenancies) applies.

(6) In subsection (5)(b) above, the reference to the original tenancy is:
              (a) where the replacement tenancy came into being on the coming to an end of a tenancy which was not a replacement tenancy, to the immediately preceding tenancy, and
              (b) where there have been successive replacement tenancies, to the tenancy immediately preceding the first in the succession of replacement tenancies.

(7) For the purposes of this section, a replacement tenancy is a tenancy:
              (a) which comes into being on the coming to an end of an assured shorthold tenancy, and
              (b) under which, on its coming into being:
              (i) the landlord and tenant are the same as under the earlier tenancy as at its coming to an end, and
              (ii) the premises let are the same or substantially the same as those let under the earlier tenancy as at that time.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
                by HobbitShire
                Sorry but I must reitterate that she DID provide all documents which were initially requested before both parties signed the lease. This new, rigid requirement for a utility bill only came a day before the agreed move-in date.

This is not a case of a prospective tenant having no paper trail....
                20-01-2022, 01:28 AM
              • Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
                by HobbitShire
                My partner has recently signed a lease through a well known property agent in London.

The lease was also signed by the landlord. References from current + previous employer, landlord, etc, and proof of address were requested before signing, and provided.

Upon signing the lease...
                20-01-2022, 00:57 AM
                by HobbitShire
                Firstly, she already provided the previous lease, along with a document from the municipality of Amsterdam stating that she was registered as living there. I paid the bills as we were living together, and she has closed her Dutch bank account (as is required when you are no longer a resident). I'm sure...
                20-01-2022, 01:11 AM
                by Jon66
                No bank statements with the old address on? These are available freely from your online account, or previous utility bills, council tax bills etc. I find it difficult to accept that they are unable to provide something. I would have concerns if you were my prospective tenant. You need to provide the...
                20-01-2022, 01:02 AM
              • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
                by minorbark
                When you put it like that I'm more inclined to edge towards the S21 route regardless. As much as part of me feels some compassion for the guy and doesn't want to lump more stress on top of someone who appears to be struggling already, as has been said before, none of us are acting as a charity.
                19-01-2022, 22:51 PM
              • Property damaged. Advice please
                by minorbark
                Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
                18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
                by minorbark
                Thank you.

My initial contact with the police was just a phone call to the local station. As I almost half expected they wouldn't give up much info, I didn't particularly push back when they said as much and I left it at that. A formal complaint might fill in a few blanks in the story but...
                19-01-2022, 22:37 PM
                by Hudson01
                A back door way into finding out what did happen (or more info than you have now), is to ask for a callback from the local PCSO who covers the beat area where the tenant lives (go online and start a live chat), he or she will know far more about your tenant that a faceless comms operator at HQ or anyone...
                19-01-2022, 22:17 PM
                by DoricPixie
                Just because someone knocks on your door, even if it crescendos to them banging loudly on your door, it doesn’t mean you have to answer it or have to go and investigate.

If the tenant suffers from mental health issues and the police were sent round because someone thought the tenant’s...
                19-01-2022, 21:47 PM
                by WebLand
                From painful personal experience of this issue... You should formally contact the police, ask them why they broke the door down and ask for compensation. Their lawyer will then write to you with some information which may be useful for you to know (but not giving very much detail). I expect they'll...
                19-01-2022, 21:31 PM
              Working...
              X