6 month tenancy. wanting to leave at 4 months due to unfixed dangerous problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 month tenancy. wanting to leave at 4 months due to unfixed dangerous problems.

as the title says, im 4 months into a 6 month tenancy.
    last week we have several circuit breakers trip in the house and i noticed water coming from the waste pipe from the upstairs bathroom.

a plumber was called he looked at it, laughed very hard and said that unless the whole pipework was ripped out and replaced this would keep happening.

i aksed him to show me what was going on, he flushed the upstairs toilet and water was streaming out through the plug socket downstairs..which was tripping the circuit breaker and cutting the electricity, he said he was the plumber who initially did the refit of the upstairs bathroom and the landlord has known about this problem since he bought the house but refused to pay to have it done.

to say im angry is not even close, hes been asked to bodge the job again and see how long it lasts, hes replaced the socket and done some sealing on the pipe apparently, he says he doesnt know how long this will last this time!

but this is the socket we use for the washing machine and there isnt another socket we can use, so we cant just sstop using the socket..and i dont feel we should have to use a dangerous socket when he isnt prepared to do the job properly.

as he has refused to fix the problem adequately AGAIN, i honestly dont feel safe using the washing machine now or using the toilet upstairs, if everytime i flush it, theres a chance i can blow my socket up!!
    can i give him notice to fix it and if he doesnt terminate my contract and move on?

thanks for any advice

See this link for your options on dealing with LL refusing to carry out repairs:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...n_private_lets

Comment

Originally posted by flamieuk View Post
      as the title says, im 4 months into a 6 month tenancy.
      last week we have several circuit breakers trip in the house and i noticed water coming from the waste pipe from the upstairs bathroom.

a plumber was called he looked at it, laughed very hard and said that unless the whole pipework was ripped out and replaced this would keep happening.

i aksed him to show me what was going on, he flushed the upstairs toilet and water was streaming out through the plug socket downstairs..which was tripping the circuit breaker and cutting the electricity, he said he was the plumber who initially did the refit of the upstairs bathroom and the landlord has known about this problem since he bought the house but refused to pay to have it done.

to say im angry is not even close, hes been asked to bodge the job again and see how long it lasts, hes replaced the socket and done some sealing on the pipe apparently, he says he doesnt know how long this will last this time!

but this is the socket we use for the washing machine and there isnt another socket we can use, so we cant just sstop using the socket..and i dont feel we should have to use a dangerous socket when he isnt prepared to do the job properly.

as he has refused to fix the problem adequately AGAIN, i honestly dont feel safe using the washing machine now or using the toilet upstairs, if everytime i flush it, theres a chance i can blow my socket up!!
      can i give him notice to fix it and if he doesnt terminate my contract and move on?

thanks for any advice
      The landlord is obviously an idiot.

Water can cause the most damage to a property and it is left at the owners peril. If he had to claim on his insurance for it, they would question why he refused to get it repaired.
      Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X