X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    I wonder whether there can be conditions attached to the break clause e.g. that T (or L) must not be in breach of any of the obligations of the tenancy at the point at which he invokes the break clause?
    Yes there can.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
    Usually a landlord uses breaches of the tenancy agreement to serve notice on the tenant, not to make them stay in the property for another 6 months.
    I agree, but if it were a choice of letting them disappear into the blue beyond owing me rent, or only letting them leave once they have settled all outstanding rent/debts, I know which I would opt for!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    I wonder whether there can be conditions attached to the break clause e.g. that T (or L) must not be in breach of any of the obligations of the tenancy at the point at which he invokes the break clause?
    Usually a landlord uses breaches of the tenancy agreement to serve notice on the tenant, not to make them stay in the property for another 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
    There is nothing you can do to stop your tenant using the break clause. If they do not pay their rent, you would have to take the arrears out of their deposit, if your tenancy agreement allows you to do this. Or you would have to take them to the small claims court to get any money that you are owed.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Originally posted by Zepha View Post
    If they - for example, and unlikely - do not pay the last month's rent, does this affect their rights to exercise the break clause?
    There is nothing you can do to stop your tenant using the break clause. If they do not pay their rent, you would have to take the arrears out of their deposit, if your tenancy agreement allows you to do this. Or you would have to take them to the small claims court to get any money that you are owed.

Leave a comment:

• Zepha
    replied
    Thank you for the advice - I was happy with the inclusion of a break clause, and they have been very good tenants (so far...). It's all a bit sudden though, and having spent so much money making the property really nice I was looking for a return.
    Can I ask quickly; is there an obligation for all covenants to be fulfilled for the break clause to remain in effect? If they - for example, and unlikely - do not pay the last month's rent, does this affect their rights to exercise the break clause?

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    they have always dealt with the agency.
    Most tenants think of the agent as their landlord, because that is who they always deal with.
    Most landlords, who use an agent to fully manage their property, want no contact with their tenant.
    Therefore, it is the usual practice for the tenant to give their notice to the agent. Your tenant probably gave written notice to your agent. It was unfortunate that you were way from home when your agent informed you of the notice given on 27th August.

If you are not happy about the tenant exercising their legal right to use the break clause in their contract, you shouldn't have included one.

Leave a comment:

• Zepha
    replied
    Hello MM,
    I think I get your drift - they have always dealt with the agency. However I am trying to understand whether the notice must be given as prescribed in the TA, to me directly, and therefore whether as it stands it is defective.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Have you had any previous dealings with the tenant, or have they always dealt with the agent?

Leave a comment:

• Zepha
    replied
    mine, the Landlord.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Hello MM, The agent manages the property. The TA states that notice must be given to the Landlord.
    Who's name and address appears on the tenancy agreement to be used for the purpose of serving notices?

Leave a comment:

• Zepha
    replied
    Hello MM, The agent manages the property. The TA states that notice must be given to the Landlord. I'm not sure where I stand here.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Thank you, but strictly speaking isn't the Notice defective?
    It needs to be sent to me as the Landlord?
    Does your agent manage the property, or is the agent only used to find the tenant?

Leave a comment:

• Zepha
    replied
    Thank you, but strictly speaking isn't the Notice defective?
    It needs to be sent to me as the Landlord?

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    The only thing email does not give us is non-repudiation. This is guaranteed proof that the person who sent it did actually send it.

Not likely to be an issue unless you sign up new tenants and on the day they move in you find out the tenant is still in situ - possibly not a very likely case.

If there is any doubt (eg do you think the agency has screwed up in some way?) ask for the original email from the tenant, including headers. This will give you a starting point to check if it looks genuine (if you know what to look for).

For reference, a common way to guarantee an email is genuine is if it signed with a digital signature (eg the person sending it has a security package on their PC such as PGP, and digitally signs it with their private key (allowing you to check it against their public key). This however requires a certain level of technical sophistication missing from most Internet users.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renters reform bill
    by DoricPixie
    You can thank the tenant with a dog I did let to in the past for now being reluctant to let to other people with dogs and probably cats too.

The fact your income comes for 100% benefits isn’t a hard no though as long as you are able to pass affordability....
    05-07-2022, 23:15 PM
  • Renters reform bill
    by flyingfreehold
    i have just read an interesting summary of all that is proposed in the EG (Estates Gazette). As drafted it effectively brings back a form of rent control as tenants will have the right to go to First Tier Tribunal to challenge any rent increases which must be proposed by section 13 notices.
    04-07-2022, 16:29 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    You’re not though are you? You’re getting these people to rent the property because you’ll be living overseas. The property will cease to be your only if main home.

Maybe you’ll get away with pretending these people are lodgers and these people will move out the property when you...
    05-07-2022, 23:09 PM
  • Renting rooms
    by Luke
    I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
    I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
    I do not intend to live at the property
    Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
    As its...
    28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by Luke
    I do intend staying in the property permeantely though , although I may have to stay elsewhere sometimes...
    05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
  • Reply to Licensing inspection
    by royw
    Sounds like the power has gone to their heads Can't you, or rather the tenants, have some fun? Well placed boobie traps or a fierce dog perhaps?
    05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
  • Licensing inspection
    by Section20z
    Just had letter from London Borough of ****** saying they will be inspecting my house at some time in the next 28 days to ensure licence compliance. No further notice will be given and tenants are expected to grant access to all areas, windows to be left open for air supply, and doors all left open...
    05-07-2022, 13:57 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by ash72
    You would be creating an issue for yourself, you want to be able to evict a T (for whatever reason) which do not have the same rights as a T on an AST, the problem would be that you would have 2 T's who would have evidence etc, that you never lived there while they lived there...... When someone is...
    05-07-2022, 21:23 PM
  • Reply to Am I obliged to....
    by Sydaton
    It crosses my mind that if you install something that doesn't comply with regulations - eg a rope flush against the wall - then you might be more likely to be opening yourself up to a claim than if you'd left the stairs as they were when you bought the house....
    05-07-2022, 20:22 PM
  • Am I obliged to....
    by mpppen
    Morning.

A tenant living in a property for the last three years has emailed saying there's no handrail on the stairs and they this is is dangerous. They also say there is a large step down to the shed.

Am I obliged to provide one? The stairs themselves are quite narrow and...
    30-06-2022, 08:47 AM
Working...
X